• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I got my Bronco out of the snow!

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
I recently joined the forum here and I have been thinking about Broncos a lot lately. I even went and looked at one that was for sale. I decided that the money for that one would go a long way toward the one I already have.

A week or so ago I tried to get my 3/4 ton out in the field behind my house. I thought I could jump start my Bronco and get it out. About 1/2 way I got the 3/4 ton stuck in the snow and spent the next couple of hours getting it out.

Yesterday I decided to get a new battery for the Bronco and see if I could get it started. I haven't drove it in 2 years. The last time I started it was last summer. The battery that was in it is 8yrs old so it was time for a new one. I put the new one in, checked the fluids, and tried to start it. It took a few minutes to start. I had to get fuel to the carb.

I got it running and let it warm for a while. I locked in the hubs and started to try to get it out of the hole in the snow. The carb is in need of some help after sitting so long. It isn't running very good and the old gas does not help. It took some work to get it out of the hole it was in, but I got it out. I made it another 50 feet across the snow and ran out of gas. Other tank was empty too.

I went and got a few gallons of gas and started it up again. I was hoping that the fresh gas would run better, but it didn't seem to help. I figured that I might as well try to get it out of the field, because I can't work on it out there. I got it around the corner and in line to go through where the 3/4 ton got stuck earlier. I got up to the bad spot and backed up and pulled in again. I did this a few times to start making a path. When my front tire fell in where the 3/4 tons front wheels were stuck I backed up a ways and gave it a run.

What do you know, the Bronco made it through there with no problem.

Kind of a long story just to say that Broncos kick ass!;D

Well the Bronco is out to where I can start working on it. I think it is time to just rebuild the engine and add a 4bbl. The engine in it now has about 100k on it and has never been apart.

1976 Bronco Ranger project, coming soon. With pix to be added.

Dan76

Good story I enjoyed it, thanks for bringing another bronco back :-*
Lets see some pictures now!

OP
OP
MustangHowie

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
I am not sure where to start with it. It has been sitting for a while, and right now it doesn't run very good. It starts fine, and as it warms up it starts to idle at 2k. In gear it drops down to a normal idle. Driving down the road it has a hard time at 30mph plus. I can get it up to 50mph, but it seems like it is struggling to do it. Do you think it is just in the engine? It seems to shift gears fine. Vacuum leak? Carb rebuild? Bad coil?

I don't want to put a lot into the engine right now. I am planning in a month or so to rebuild the 302 in it. I would like to get it running better so I know for sure the tranny is good before I rebuild the engine. If I need the tranny rebuilt I would like to do it with the engine out.

Here is a quick pic from this morning before sun up.

02-25-08.jpg

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Yep, I could visualize your story as you told it. Sounds like a fun adventure to me!!

J.D.

OP
OP
MustangHowie

MustangHowie

Loc.
Shelley, ID
I am getting excited to work on it again. I am looking into a new bumper to mount a Warn XD9000 on. I plan on replacing the light bar. I need new tires. Rebuild the 302 and add a 4bbl.

It is not in too bad of shape for the age and sitting as long as it has. I have owned it since 1994 and I have noly put around 40k miles on it. I drive it a while and the park it a while and so on.

I rebuilt my Mustang last year and plan on the Bronco this year. I am getting tired of all the new vehicles. They all look alike and I don't know what's under the hood. I like my old ones, class and style.