• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I got screwed on the '89-5.0 engine!!!!

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
I wanted to install the 5.0 from an 89 t-bird <br> (save some money kinda of thing you know)<br>But as I got started with the project, I ran into problem after problem, the final straw was the strong engine turned into an engine full of sludge and worn out even one of the main bearing was about to fail!<br> :( total losses on this around $700<br><br>Starting over ::)<br> Here is what I have done so far, I had the 289ci punched 30 over, the crank turned 10,000. refreshed the rotating assymbly, I added a set of 302 heads "rebuilt", new edelbrock 600cfm carb EDL-1405, new Edelbrock proformer intake, new edelbrock cam EDL-2122, , new oil pump timing chain and gears, new MSD billet distributor, new MSD offroader ignition box MSD-6470, new Summit SFI harmonic damper. new edelbrock elite valve covers and air filter cover. had the old flywheel resurfaced and a new starter ring-gear pressed on.new water and fuel pump. <br>Total investment this time around "a lot more"!!!<br><br>I am looking at installing the engine this weekend, there are a few things I need to get like plug wire, plugs and and oil filter. I'm also looking for a set of ceramic coated headers.<br>I can't wait to fire this thing up!!!!!!<br>Jeff<br>

moabers

Loc.
SLC, UTAH
A quick question, are you certain about the Edelbrock Carb? Unless it is the new off-road version, you may want to consider it further. Edelbrock's are not typically the best off road performers, at least not without alot of work and adjustment.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
moabers<br>This thing probably won't see much offroading for a while, I may decide on the Holley truck avenger by then.<br>I still have to change out the front axle and regear the rear with 4.56 gears.<br>Just getting started here I have a long way to go yet!<br>Thanks, Jeff

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
You should be glad you didn't go with the T-bird motor for another reason ... they were rated as having the least HP of any of the blue oval engines . ;)

Krusher

Loc.
Brookhaven, MS
Hey Jeff, I think the first time I talked with you, I had just started my project. Would love to get together sometime after you get yours finished, being only a hour or less away. At any rate, sorry to here about your motor troulbles. Basically did to my 302 what your descibing on your 289. Think you'll be happy with the Edelbrock parts and the overall results.<br>I know this will make you feel even worse about your motor disappointments, but, I was looking for a used serpentine setup for my 302, and ran across a complete 91 mustang GT engine, except for the intake, for $50 bucks. Pick it up this weekend.<br>

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=Krusher link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83126 date=1037402070]<br>Hey Jeff, I think the first time I talked with you, I had just started my project. Would love to get together sometime after you get yours finished, being only a hour or less away. At any rate, sorry to here about your motor troulbles. Basically did to my 302 what your descibing on your 289. Think you'll be happy with the Edelbrock parts and the overall results.<br>I know this will make you feel even worse about your motor disappointments, but, I was looking for a used serpentine setup for my 302, and ran across a complete 91 mustang GT engine, except for the intake, for $50 bucks. Pick it up this weekend.<br><br>[/quote]<br>Krusher<br>If you're ever over this way drop me an email before you make the trip and we can't talk Bronco's, I'd love to check out your rig! If I ever finish mine I may make a trip over that way sometime!<br> see ya, Jeff

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83162 date=1037408182]<br>Why not toss the Tbird EFI top end on the new motor???<br>[/quote]<br><br>I would agree that fuel injection is the way to go ... but ... I think with all the horsepower mods he has in the new motor and the lack of HP the T-bird had to start with , the carb would be better suited for his application . Now if he had a Mustang HO set up laying around ...it would be a whole different story .

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83343 date=1037466567]<br>[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83162 date=1037408182]<br>Why not toss the Tbird EFI top end on the new motor???<br>[/quote]<br><br>I would agree that fuel injection is the way to go ... but ... I think with all the horsepower mods he has in the new motor and the lack of HP the T-bird had to start with , the carb would be better suited for his application . Now if he had a Mustang HO set up laying around ...it would be a whole different story .<br>[/quote]Take the T-bird EFI convert it to MAF! Its easy and you already own it! It will be better than a carb by leaps and bounds! Go to corral.net they have a tech article on how to convert a sd EFI to MAF. The SD system will work fine on your engine if the cam's are the same but if not do the MAF convertion.

ABurns

Loc.
Vancouver WA
The '89 t-bird motor should already be mass-air, at least the ones I have been around did. If that's the case put that stuff on your 289, get a Mustang GT harnes and computer and your good to go. Just out of curiosity why did you opt to build the 289 when the 5.0 is already equipped with a roller cam and forged pistons?

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=ABurns link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83371 date=1037473487]<br>The '89 t-bird motor should already be mass-air, at least the ones I have been around did. If that's the case put that stuff on your 289, get a Mustang GT harnes and computer and your good to go. Just out of curiosity why did you opt to build the 289 when the 5.0 is already equipped with a roller cam and forged pistons?<br>[/quote]Why would you buy a Mustang harness when you already have a wire harness? I have a Mustang computer and a LTD wire harness. Just changed like two pins.89 was the first year for MAF on a Mustang so the system might be MAF so I would USE IT!

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Thanks for the Replies,<br>I decided to go with the 289 because I don't have all the parts to go with the 5.0, I almost went with a mustang gt crate from ford motor, but it would have cost a lot more.<br>I was having trouble finding the right Flywheel/clutch/starter/bellhousing setup, clutch bracket connections and so on, I didn't get the controls with the '89 t-bird fuel injection system, and I am a little shy in knowledge on the electronic stuff for now.<br>I'm going to give this a shot and see what kind of performance I can get from the old fashion stuff!<br>Thanks again, Jeff

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=jeff68 link=board=5;threadid=11319;start=0#83392 date=1037479821]<br>Thanks for the Replies,<br>I decided to go with the 289 because I don't have all the parts to go with the 5.0, I almost went with a mustang gt crate from ford motor, but it would have cost a lot more.<br>I was having trouble finding the right Flywheel/clutch/starter/bellhousing setup, clutch bracket connections and so on, I didn't get the controls with the '89 t-bird fuel injection system, and I am a little shy in knowledge on the electronic stuff for now.<br>I'm going to give this a shot and see what kind of performance I can get from the old fashion stuff!<br>Thanks again, Jeff<br>[/quote]If ya change your mind there are several of us that would be more than glad to help ya in any way we could. ;D ;D