• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I know another wobble all terrain vs mud terrains

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey everyone,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to cure a wobble I have from 55/60 mph and is very consistent. 77 bronco 3.5 sl 1.0 bl. 35/12.50/15 BFG mud terrains on slotted rims

Everything is either new or tight, bearings are good alignment is within speck and actually tracks very well and brakes straight. Have changed toe in and out ajusted tire pressure up and down.

So I thinking it must be the tires that are about 9 years old, but have very good tread.

What do you think, do bfg all terrains have a better track record then bfg mud terrains for wobble? At this point I just want to get rid of the wobble. Has anybody had experience with both and the wobble.

Thanks

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
Hey everyone,
I have been trying unsuccessfully to cure a wobble I have from 55/60 mph and is very consistent. 77 bronco 3.5 sl 1.0 bl. 35/12.50/15 BFG mud terrains on slotted rims

Everything is either new or tight, bearings are good alignment is within speck and actually tracks very well and brakes straight. Have changed toe in and out ajusted tire pressure up and down.

So I thinking it must be the tires that are about 9 years old, but have very good tread.

What do you think, do bfg all terrains have a better track record then bfg mud terrains for wobble? At this point I just want to get rid of the wobble. Has anybody had experience with both and the wobble.

Thanks

Not sure if its the tires, could be, and personally I would swap out tires that are that old anyway. Then you'll know if thats it

suckerpunched

I definitely agree with pcdan on this. I have a friend who owns a tire shop. his dad has a 40 ford coupe that had old, but perfect looking tires on it, against his sons advise, he refused to replace them until one blew apart going down the highway and tore a rear fender off the car. and that was just a little car tire, I can't imagine how much force of a 35 x 12.50 would have when it came apart.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yea I know you guys are right, and I think that is what I am going to do, ( a lifted bronco with 35 s and a blow out, would not be pretty.

But do you think the all terrains would have a less tendency to create a speed sensitive wobble

69_Sport

Why not rotate them front to back? If it's gone after rotating them, problem found.

Afterwards you really need to spring for some new rubber. Any tire that old is likely dangerous to drive on.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Most common cause for wobble at those speeds is tire balance issues.

Only use the 9 year olds as spares or chuck them, my choice. Had a friends daughter killed on tires that were 7 years old, never driving on anything over 4 anymore, the rubber is just not that good anymore.Either of those brands can balance just fine, the tire shop has to be ready to NOT use a tire they cannot dynamic balance within reason. My discount tire is aware and on the third set found two they could not balance to two more were obtained and balanced fine.

Tires,'brakes, front suspension/steering and shocks. Things you really cant skimp out on.

I'm using KM2 and they balance fine and give a very pleasant "you have rock crawler tires whine" at speed.

suckerpunched

have you had someone give them a ride on a balancer yet? maybe a weight came off, bent wheel or flat spots from old hard tires sitting in one place too long.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I am about to post about replacing 10 year+ old BFG MTs with KO2s. The old MTs were like square wheels. I am not certain exactly what the issue is, but when the MTs get old they get strange. Pulling to the side, even though toe was spot on. Rumbly , draggy. The new KO2s are like round wheels again. I say try a set of KO2s. The word in tire circles is that ATs have stiffer sidewalls, too. Anyway, the ride is TOTALLY changed. Driveable now. Much, much less rolling resistance. Before it was horrible. I am not kidding, I could tell in the first 10 feet how much better the ride was...in a parlkng lot at 10 mph for Pete's sake..

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input everyone this has been an ongoing prob for a couple of years it s not death wobble by any means but it takes the fun outdoors it .

Yea did front to back swap and they were perfectly balanced at 4 wheel parts, they have great balancing machines there,
Thinks it s ko2 s might be the answer

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I think Mars is right about older MT getting kinda weird
Thanks

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I misspoke, happens more as I get old-er.

I meant road force balancer, my Discount tire has one of the four machines they use as a road force. All have dynamic, that just says how well it rotates in free air, road force actually squishes the tire resulting in totally different outcome on older tires.

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Haa I fully understand the old er
I’ll check if the disc tire has it.
Thanks

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
The old MT would crack at the bottom of the large tread lugs. then the lug flies off and exposes steel belts. The AT tires ride very different than the MT. My old Toyota liked the MT but the ride with AT were terrible. Turned the poor old truck into a buck board with every dip, crack and crevice. I won't buy an AT unless its on a very heavy truck. My KM2 are a great ride with very little balance weights.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To your question about which one is better or worse, I would say that, as thought, the Mud tires are more likely to develop this type of problem. But only just...
And they're more likely to develop it with less mileage and wear too.
But with the BFG's even the AT's are not immune. I've had and seen both styles develop wobbles. It's just easier (usually) to keep an A/T running smoother longer.

These days I'm a big fan of regular tire rotations for this reason. Well, as well as for extending the mileage capabilities. Was always aware of it, but never thought it was going to be that big of a deal.
The first time I got 60k miles out of a set of 35" General Mud tires I was a convert!
And even then, the tread probably had another 20k left in it. The road manners were the first to go as the carcasses wore out from inside. But the tread would have gone to 80k I'm sure.
Then the BFG 35" Muds that replaced them went another 35k and still looked brand new when I sold the truck.

On the whole age thing, oddly enough I'm using a neighbor's truck to park my Bronco on the back of, and last week got a flat. No nail, no screw, no hole. Just air seeping out of multiple cracks in the sidewall. Strange to see that!
Tried to decode the date codes only to find out it pre-dates them! Could not find any references online that went back before 2000, which means these GoodYears appear to be every bit of coming up on 20 years old.
So yeah, even though this truck gets maybe 100 miles a year put on it, it was a ticking time bomb.

And that tire sure looks funny with Green Slime oozing out of multiple "slots" around the tire!%)

Paul

OP
OP
spap

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Paul
Yea these are really low milage MTs pretty much sat while I redid the bronco years ?
my mistake
I’m just willing to do anything to get a slight advantage to beat the wobble. All leads to the tires
I have just always had good luck with bfg s going back to the late eighties. I know 33 s would probably help too but I just do t want to go down in size. Just always thought bfg s and Goodyear’s were really good but who knows anymore
The MT s do look good though, just goes back how all these trucks are so different.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No reason not to stick with the BFG brand if you like it. Any tire can wobble under the right circumstances. Any brand, any style, any age.
Keeping them in good shape and not living with them too long is the best way to avoid it though!

I'm going to have sticker shock in the not too distant future when three full sets of tires get changed. They're all in great shape, and don't wobble yet either. But they're way overdue and I don't want to risk it. Those tires on my neighbor's F150 look great and probably have just a few thousand miles on them. But when air starts leaking out of the sidewall just sitting there, they're really trying to tell you something.
Just like when they wobble and balancing doesn't fix it.;D

My Thornbirds probably have less than 2000 miles on them too. But they're living on borrowed time because the only thing holding air in one of them is a combination of patches, plugs, Green Slime and silicone sealer.
Yep, it took all of those to keep air in that one stupid tire. But luckily it's not being driven at all. Just holding air so I can keep it rolling and not look too derelict in the neighborhood.%)

Paul

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I remember Thornbirds.

Supposed to be a quiet mud tire.

Very popular in the early 90's.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Noisiest tire I've ever owned. Louder even than my old Dunlop Mud Rovers and even the regular Swampers.
Louder than the Gumbo Monster Mudders, and right on par with the old Buckshots, if not a little louder.

Paul