• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Need help with a 74 Bronco Scout

DixieDog

My dad bought a 74 bronco Scout 5 years ago and dropped a rebuilt 302 in it and it ran great.....for a while. he wanted to get it painted, so he sent it to a friends' place, where it sat for five years and rusted.......never got painted. I just recovered the bronco a few weeks ago and now it's at my house. I've already dropped the tank ( rear mounted plastic tank) and flushed it out and reconnected it, put in a new battery, and cleaned it. i'm not gonna lie, it looks rough (I'll try to post some photos). These are the major problems (1) No Power, nothing works including ignition. battery cables look OK, and i can get the motor to turn over, but not start, by bypassing the sylanoid. (2) Everything is rusted; floors, tailgate, doors. I've tried starting it, but it won't fire, even with starting fluid. I'm no mechanic, but I understand how most of the major engine componenets work. Basically I'm looking for some advice on solving these problems. Usually I wouldn't take on this battle, but with an almost new motor in it, I have to try.
Thanks,
DixieDog

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
If it sat that long, the diaphram on the fuel pump is probably shot. Fuel pumps are cheap so I'd replace it. Also check the electrical side as mentioned.

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
DixieDog said:
My dad bought a 74 bronco Scout 5 years ago and dropped a rebuilt 302 in it and it ran great.....for a while. he wanted to get it painted, so he sent it to a friends' place, where it sat for five years and rusted.......never got painted. I just recovered the bronco a few weeks ago and now it's at my house. I've already dropped the tank ( rear mounted plastic tank) and flushed it out and reconnected it, put in a new battery, and cleaned it. i'm not gonna lie, it looks rough (I'll try to post some photos). These are the major problems (1) No Power, nothing works including ignition. battery cables look OK, and i can get the motor to turn over, but not start, by bypassing the sylanoid. (2) Everything is rusted; floors, tailgate, doors. I've tried starting it, but it won't fire, even with starting fluid. I'm no mechanic, but I understand how most of the major engine componenets work. Basically I'm looking for some advice on solving these problems. Usually I wouldn't take on this battle, but with an almost new motor in it, I have to try.
Thanks,
DixieDog

Sorry but i don't think Bronco and Scout go hand in hand!
They are two diff vechicals ;D

Well, for starters you could pull a plug wire off and ground it out using a screwdriver and look for sparks while turning it over. Make sure you aren't touching the metal part of the screwdriver while doing it or you'll get a nice surprise(if it's working).

You will likely have to go in and scuff all of the electrical contacts under the hood to remove the 5 years worth of rust(however minor it may look to you), especially the battery and solenoid associated wiring.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
To start, you might want to give the engine electrical a good look over. Check all the plug's and wires, fuel lines and so on. You should have at least got a rumble using starting fluid. Seems to me you are not getting any spark. Have you pulled any of the plugs out to see their condition?

:)

OP
OP
D

DixieDog

Thanks for the help. i'm going to check out the entire electrical system tommorow, and hopefully buy a new fuel pump. Can I buy a pump for this bronco at an auto parts store?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
ken75ranger said:
I know auto zone, napa,and advanced auto carry them.

O'Reily's does also.. So basically any parts store should have one in stock.