• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I need some advice ( Elect )

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Hello All. I need some advice about wiring my truck. I have looked at Painless, centeck, Ron Francis. All seem to offer a kit of of some kind. One of the problems that I am having is the "kits" don't work that good for me. Nothing on the truck is stock except for the tail lights and the front running lights. So a kit for the bronco is just going to get all cut to fit. It looks like I may have to make my own harness?:? I have looked at some of the universal kits that the companies offer and I will still need to get additional relays, switches and other parts that are not in the universal kits. I am thinking I will need to buy the relays and a fuse panel, wires and connectors to build a harness. I can buy the connectors and wire local but would like to know if any of you have any better ideas to go about this? What fuse panel do you like and that type of stuff
Thanks for any help. keep in mind I suck at elect. I can do all the work but I get a little confused about where all the wires go sometimes.

Bax

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
My understanding is that the Ron Francis is pretty flexible. You group and terminate...sounds like what you are looking to do. I used the Centech. Its a good product....especially with my level of knowledge going in. If I were going to do another, for myself, I would check into the Ron Francis, just so that I could run things a little different. Good luck.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
I don't know if you have EFI or carb but this company can adapt to anything you have. I've heard good things about them with the hotrod/kit car crowd. I-Squared www.isqe.com

scotts77

Loc.
Marietta, GA
The Ron Francis kit is the one you want. It has probably the best most flexible fuse panel w/ relays and you run the wires to the length you need. I just bought one myself. It is absolutely top shelf.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I don't know if you have EFI or carb but this company can adapt to anything you have. I've heard good things about them with the hotrod/kit car crowd. I-Squared www.isqe.com

Thanks Alan I will check it out.

trailpsycho: I like the Ron frances stuff too. Talked to them on the phone they were pushing the kits and not really interested in what I wanted.

Thanks

drajj5

Loc.
Ellijay, GA
If you have, 'time' and 'no money' like myself you can salvage a harness from another Ford. I pulled the harness from a 82 fullsized F150 (tailights to headlights) loaded with power everything. This only took about 1 hour without cutting one wire with dikes. laid new(old) harness on floor at home and found out that color codes matched that of the old(old) harness. A good weekend and a chiltons manual it was installed. Rewiring dash cluster was not a tough as I had expected it to be. The result turned out great with a bigger and improved fuse block, pushpins vs barrel fuses. Lots of space for A/C and accessories. Not much cutting sodering as you would think!
Maybe its a little "shadetree" for some people, but you can troubleshoot your future wiring delima with any repair manual...

bobbyray27

look at at kwik wiring they have every thing you need to do your own custom job. Harness's switch's, relays, weather tight connections every thing you need. Even a toggle switch for blinkers.

Kaw-Liga

Loc.
Palm Coast, FL
Roger, I used a company called EZ wiring. They are in Bunnell FL(about 25 miles north of me) My buddy(has a 74 duster) and I got harnesses at the same time and helped each other do the work. I have bee very pleased. All wires are labeled every 12" and the fuse box uses mini fuses(like new cars) Take a look at the website or call me and I'll tell you more about them. Best thing was that we got a smokin deal. It was around 120$ each since we bought two sets and picked them up at their shop. The web site is ezwiring.com we both get the mini 20 harness which is all of your basic stuff plus A/C, power doors and windows and other stuff(which you can use for KC lights, winch, etc) Last year I saw a bunch of vendors selling the kits at the Turkey Rod Run, but they were jacked up prices. Check em out and let me know if you need more info on them.

Rob

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Roger, I used a company called EZ wiring. They are in Bunnell FL(about 25 miles north of me) My buddy(has a 74 duster) and I got harnesses at the same time and helped each other do the work. I have bee very pleased. All wires are labeled every 12" and the fuse box uses mini fuses(like new cars) Take a look at the website or call me and I'll tell you more about them. Best thing was that we got a smokin deal. It was around 120$ each since we bought two sets and picked them up at their shop. The web site is ezwiring.com we both get the mini 20 harness which is all of your basic stuff plus A/C, power doors and windows and other stuff(which you can use for KC lights, winch, etc) Last year I saw a bunch of vendors selling the kits at the Turkey Rod Run, but they were jacked up prices. Check em out and let me know if you need more info on them.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I am going to daytona this weekend I will check them out on the web and see if they are open on Sat.

Bax

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
I guess I'm a wierdo. I would have a hard time putting in one of the typical replacement harness' in a truck like yours. I am not convinced it is that hard to do from scratch... even after doing one... well, almost, still got some things to finish. Sourcing all the little things gets to be a bit pricey, but so far I've been pretty happy with my wiring build.
Personally, I think your interior deserves nothign but the best in fit, finish and cleanliness. As much as I like EB stuff, the knobs and dials leave me wanting something better.
The wiring is the easy part. Switches on the other hand will give you a heartache. I like the contura switches and think anything can be done with them with enough relays.

just my $.02