• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I think I got a good deal- picked up a 74

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Well after the MEB round up my wife and I were both excited to get another Bronco for trail only or just for her (only time will tell).
I started poking around the web and found a local 74 that is mostly stock. It spent most of its live in central Texas so the rust is very light for a Bronco.

The floor pans were replaced but I will have to cut them out and redo them. Someone did a major hack job and seam welded flat metal in.

She has the following:
Ranger package Wagon with no mods
original paint still on
power steering
manual 4 wheel drum
J shift D20
V8 302 that runs
3 speed manual
Uncut 1/4's
Uncut dash with original radio
Solid bed, rockers, pillars, strikers, quarters doors, cowl

Now the down side:
minor front passenger side accident shows the core support pushed in 1.5 inches.
Inner fender behind the core support is bent.
Passenger rocker has big dent.
Passenger 1/4 has small dent but tail lite metal may need to be replaced from the tire carrier being hit and pushing in the metal.
Tailgate is solid as a rock but has two big dents on the lower side.
Passengers door has a couple dents.
needs new passenger finder.
Small rust out on the back of the drivers pillar.
rear seat missing

I paid $750.

Can anyone tell me any up or down sides to a 74? I wanted another 77 but a clean one is hard to find.

I will post pics when I pick it up tonight.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
sounds like a good deal to me, only downside is disc brakes but that a easy one and you have better tie rods, oh yeah 74's are the best;D

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great deal to me. Post some pics when you can.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
DUDE.. That's a great deal.. Congrats to the wife...

Mark in Memphis

Sounds like a GREAT deal.

One good thing about 74 is that they have no catalytic converters so you can do anything you want to the exhaust without worrying about inspection.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
On the 74 I noticed some sort of blue round canister behind the passenger wheel with a mud guard in front of it.

Is this part of the emissions?

On another note:
I don't have to go through emissions testing in VA on my 77 or 74 but I wonder if I could get busted for not having a cat on my 77?

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Here are some small res pictures the previous owner provided me. The dark spots all over the body are areas where the owner had sanded down very small surface chips in the paint then painted POR15 over it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Last edited:

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I believe in California post 1973 autos must pass smog. Just curious... What are the smog rules in your state?

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On the 74 I noticed some sort of blue round canister behind the passenger wheel with a mud guard in front of it.

Yes, it's the charcoal cannister for the gas tanks.

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
I wish my floors looked that good and I paid considerably more than $750! Looks like you did good on that deal.

Pearlcoat

Bronco Guru

On another note:
I don't have to go through emissions testing in VA on my 77 or 74 but I wonder if I could get busted for not having a cat on my 77?

I have 2 77's and both have cats, although the ones on the street truck are gutted. Just have to be there to pass VA state inspection as part of the original emissions equipment. Figured if I took them off it would be a hassle so they stayed on.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I believe in California post 1973 autos must pass smog. Just curious... What are the smog rules in your state?

In VA only certain (non-attainment) counties have emmissions testing and we also have the rolling 25 year rule. So no EB's need to be smogged here. And any vehicle with an antique tag is allowed to be self inspected by owner for safety items, but I hear that may change next year.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I looked it over again last night and I don't think it was a Ranger.

The worst part is the dents. It sucks when you have solid metal with dents in it because I may still have to replace the pannel.

This one is not as bad as my 77 was but I will need to replace:
Both rockers
Driver and passenger side floor pans
passenger inner fender and the front part of the kick panel
core support
passenger fender
passenger door (may just go with inserts but I happen to have an extra door)
Passenger tail light behind quarter panel section

Should be able to knock this all out in a couple of weeks.