• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I wanna put a small block chevy in my 71

71s-box

Loc.
San Carlos,
So, I know its sorta wrong, but I wanna put a small block chevy/gm motor in my bronco, and I don't know where to start. I've seen chevy power in broncos before, but can't find anything available to make this at least a somewhat simple thing. Any and all help tracking down information and parts would be most appreciated.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Prepare your flame suit.

I don't think that idea is going to sit well with this board. Why not build a Ford for it? You can stroke a 351 bigger than any SBC. It only took GM 40 years to get their head design right (LS1 is a copy of Ford). Building a Ford is almost the same price as a Chevy these days, plus you actually can pull much more reliable horsepower in a SBF. You will have more power and not look like a douchebag doing it

OP
OP

71s-box

Loc.
San Carlos,
O.K, I know you're right, I'm not exactly hot for the idea either, but it seems good on a certain level. If I can find a turn-key efi ford, I'll happily drop that and scrape all thoughts of my obviously brake cleaner induced chevy swap from my mind, and never speak of it again.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
71s-box said:
So, I know its sorta wrong, but I wanna put a small block chevy/gm motor in my bronco, and I don't know where to start. I've seen chevy power in broncos before, but can't find anything available to make this at least a somewhat simple thing. Any and all help tracking down information and parts would be most appreciated.

SORTA WRONG!!???

There is nothing right about it. %) :mad:

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
71s-box said:
aside from the fact that it is a felony in some counties in Michigan, it would be a big PITA, The site performance unlimited also has turnkey efi s also. But to be fair, motor mounts , rad ,exhast, trans, transfer box, drivelines, and MF, what about the clutch? Ok electrical. OK , but this has all been solved , then all the little things will drive you F^^ing wacko.
Thrust me , I shoehorned a rat motor into a NOVA. keep your EB with the motor style that came with it.
;D

Dans1/2cab

Loc.
Southern Oregon
First let me say you can put any motor combination in anything you want.
Second stay with the manufacturer everything will fit. You won't be welding in or cutting the frame,crossmembers,brackets, etc. I used to dream about this engine/trans combination in that truck. Oh boy that would be so good. Then after cutting this and that,move this over, reinforce that. When its all over the stock ran better and was easyer to modify.
Well go ahead its a learning exsperiance. %)

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
.....just one last thought, and consider this......small block Fords have been used in almost all high performance, limited production European sports cars since the 60's......e.g.
AC Cars/Shelby/Cobra
Chrysler/Rootes/Sunbeam (Tiger)
TVR/ Vixen
Detomaso/Pantera
probably more.....it's late

Only one similar comes to mind for a SBC powered sports car
Studebaker/Avanti II

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
I say go for it. Look at all the hotrods out there. Ford bodies and SBC motors.
The bronco in Petersons Ultimate Adventure, has a chevy motor/tranny combo backed with a klune/atlas.
I've been wanting to find a 99 Vortech 5.7, and back it with a 700r4 just for the :eek: factor.

red67

Loc.
Austin Texas
asabadin said:
if i was going to do any engine swap it would be for a cummins diesel not a cheeepo bowtie

Why? Look at the weight difference. I can't see a significant advantage over a small-block v-8 with the 4BTs (except fuel economy), and the 6s weigh over a thousand pounds! A healthy 351 or 350 will still weigh half of one of the 6s. Although getting the 500 ft/lbs would a significant chore, 400+ ponies is not that hard to accomplish with aftermarket heads, and there would still be a larger rpm band.

Model Rating Weight lb. (kg)
6BT5.9-M 210 BHP x 2600 1120 (508)
6BTA5.9-M1 250 BHP x 2600 1130 (513)
6BTA5.9-M1 220 BHP x 2500 1130 (513)
6BTA5.9-M2 300 BHP x 2800 1170 (532)

MODEL (CC) CYL FUEL BHP FT-LB (LBS) (IN) (IN)
4BT3.9 39xx 4 TID 105@2500 260@1500 705 30.1 35.6
4BTA3.9-120 39xx 4 TIDA 120@2500 302@1500 725 30.1 35.6

Plus, no one wants to be behind a diesel on the trail ;D .

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
red67 said:
Plus, no one wants to be behind a diesel on the trail ;D .

no one wants to be behind a diesel anywhere! ;D ...people do the stupidist things to get in front of me........then poke along.......
%)

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
j.r.nice said:
no one wants to be behind a diesel anywhere! ;D ...people do the stupidist things to get in front of me........then poke along.......
%)
Oh you aint just whistling dixie,
OH shit , I better get in front of that truck MAdge,,,,,, Oh yes much better now , I can hear you better now Madge, why is this truck driver blowing his air horn? Oh my he is passing me, I better speed up, I can't let em passme.
%) %) %) %) %) %) %) %)

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Granted diesels are loud, but dollar for dollar you can make a new diesel DESTROY a corvette at the dragstrip. Computer and exhaust alone. Talk about Turbo upgrades and propane injection, and you're looking at over 1000 ft/lbs of torque and tons of horsepower. Almost all for well under 2000 bucks. Getting the tranny to hold up is another story.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
asabadin said:
if i was going to do any engine swap it would be for a cummins diesel not a cheeepo bowtie
Respectfully, why a cummins?
Why not a Cat , or a perkins. I been around most and As I have said before, would jump over a stack of cummins to get to a CAt.
Drive one and then you will know why, broader power range, and the Rpms don't hang up when you are trying to shift. ;D