• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I wanna put a small block chevy in my 71

Fathom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
This thread went from Cheby's to Diesels, Hmmm.....

I support keeping a Ford Power Plant in my Bronco.

But How many people are running Cheby Breaks, Heep seats, and Dog transmissions?

Where do you draw the line?

Fathom

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Fathom said:

But How many people are running Cheby Breaks, Heep seats, and Dog transmissions?

Fathom
The so called chebby brakes are not made by chev, they are just ordered by them for the DANa axles or the style, the jeep seats are easy to mod to fit, But doing a Chev direct swap would not be simple as the others you mentioned. I agree , where do you draw the line, well I draw the line when It takes so much cutting and welding that it takes away from your driving.
I think that is the best part of The EB, driveing one
;D ;D ;D

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Around here you can find a complete 88-95 GM truck with a good running 350 EFI / 700R4 / NP 241 for about the same as a beat up Stang 302 EFI.

This makes a convincing argument for swapping out if your Ford driveline is tired, not to mention the EFI, lower gearing, and overdrive options. I say go for it and post up details!

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
malcolmzilla said:
Around here you can find a complete 88-95 GM truck with a good running 350 EFI / 700R4 / NP 241 for about the same as a beat up Stang 302 EFI.

This makes a convincing argument for swapping out if your Ford driveline is tired,
If my drive line is tired I just pay 60 and have it redone, No I am just pullin your chains, I knew you ment DRivetrain. ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I second the buy a blazer post because in the end your bronco will be a blazer with a 9in in the rear. So why go through all the work? just buy what you really want.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Another thing giving Ford the advantage: the 351W is 90 lbs lighter than a 350 Chevy. So let me recap:
*you can't stroke a Chevy as big
*It weighs more
*It makes less power
*It flattens camshafts
*Has a Problem cracking heads and warping exhaust manifolds
*Won't bolt in directly
*most likely you will have trouble fitting the distributor in the back
*Will piss off other Bronco owners and your Bronco will feel betrayed

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Go for it!!!
It is your truck and after this project stalls you can sell the chopped up truck here for parts.
Its a win win situation for everyone. There is nothing better for the chevy boys to cry about than a Bronco showing them up even with their own power train. Chevy lovers cant find a good truck to put their own motors in so if they need one of ours so be it. At least when you are done the Chevy boys will hate you the Bronco guys will dislike you, so there is still the jeep owners and the international brothers who will probably take you in as one of their own.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Not my cup of tea either, but this one was super nice at the Bronco swap in Michigan last April.

70094085.jpg

70094097.jpg

Don't know who the owner is, but it was super clean and had lots of rodder style details.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
First of all, I'm by no way a purist. I helped my brother sling a EFI 350/700R4 into his 1960 F100. I'm also getting ready to put an EFI 383/700R4/NP241 in our Scout 800B (you want to talk about purists freaks, try posting about this on binderbulletin.org and they bite your head off). That said, in this case I would have to aks why though? I suppose if you already have a complete drivetrain lined up (350/700R4/NP241) and its all you can afford, then go for it! But, to otherwise adapt the mounts and get adaptors, its just not worth it. Plus, in the case of the F100 and the Scout, both came with outdated drivetrains in my mind (292 and 304 with 3-spd trannies) compared to what could be cheaply swapped in and what we stood to gain (EFI, 4-spd overdrive, 2.71 T-case, etc.). But with a Bronco the mounts are all there for a drivetrain that is 100% still relevant and equal or superior to what GM offers.

Either way-good luck and post pics for us pic whores ;D

asabadin

Loc.
L.A.CALI NO THIEVES
Cummins Seems To Be The Choice For One Reason, The 4 Cylinder Turbo Setup Will Weigh About The Same As A 302 And Put Out Alot More Torque AROUND 1500-200Rpms MY BUDDY PUT ONE IN A 74 BESIDES THE SMELL IT IS VERY COOL AND RELIABLE

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
72_EB said:
Not my cup of tea either, but this one was super nice at the Bronco swap in Michigan last April.

70094085.jpg

70094097.jpg

Don't know who the owner is, but it was super clean and had lots of rodder style details.

That looks like Jeepsters, is that yours Jeepster? You got a mouse in your horse? :eek:

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Fathom said:

Fathom

Big damned difference between brakes and seats, and the drivetrain. The powerplant is what makes a vehicle what it is, and Ford and Chevy are opposing forces. I can't believe this even comes up on this board at all (not to mention as often as it does), and even more can't believe all of the people who think it's OK. I can't understand people badmouthing Jeeps, then thinking it's OK to bastardize a Bronco with a GM drivetrain. Without the Ford engine, it's not a Ford, and if it ain't a Ford, it ain't a Bronco. Just another hack job ruined by GM junk.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
cjjhalfcab said:
I can't understand people badmouthing Jeeps, then thinking it's OK to bastardize a Bronco with a GM drivetrain. .
Bad mouthing Jeeps is not the issue, the jeep is fine, of the people I have met 90% of the owners of jeeps dont have a clue as opposed to 10% of the Bronco owners are lost and 90% walk around with the lights on. It takes a special type of person to put up with a 30+ year old Veichle and try to keep it running to todays desires rather than go shopping for a modern toy and think you can do half of what a Bronco owner can do. When it gets tough, dirty and stuff gets broken there is no dealer to run to and most Bronco owners I have met can at least get it off the trail. The debate over what is and isnt a Bronco will never end. in MY opinion if it isnt completly stock as the day it rolled out of the factory it isnt a Bronco it a customized creation which means whatever suits the owner. Lifes too short to be stuck in a box that doesnt fit you so you cut, chop or add whatever you wish to suit your desires. Its your money and you owe it to no one and in the end they all end up for scrap it just depends on your luck or how long the government will let you keep it. For me its not the Bronco that makes it what it is. its just steel its the people behind that special piece of metal they are truely special and they dont bleed Ford Blue Blood. There are good people in all group's it just takes a little more digging in some of them. For the most part I rather talk to the person who put a Chevy in a Bronco and went through the trials and tribulation of that adventure than talk to the guy who just bought a mueisem piece stock Bronco with his credit card hopeing to achieve a profit at a later date.
This is my opinion take of it what you will.
Steve

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Rustytruck said:
For the most part I rather talk to the person who put a Chevy in a Bronco and went through the trials and tribulation of that adventure than talk to the guy who just bought a mueisem piece stock Bronco with his credit card hopeing to achieve a profit at a later date.
This is my opinion take of it what you will.
Steve

Well said!!!!!!

Panama71

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
I have to wonder why you would want to do this? Not because of brand loyalty ( I don't have much), but because you will lose one of the best parts of spending that much effort on a vehicle.

What you would lose is a lot of the "Man..your truck is sweeet!!" factor. The Chevy guys will bash you for having a Ford, the Ford guys will bash you for using a Chevy engine. Sure some people will think its cool but alot won't.

I know that I lose all interest in a Bronco that has a Chevy engine. Nothing else you have done will impress me after I see that (and I like some chevies and have no prejudice againt their motors). I am not sure why that is the way I feel, but I do know its true.

Seems like a lot of effort to go through for no good return.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
feitctaj said:
That looks like Jeepsters, is that yours Jeepster? You got a mouse in your horse? :eek:

Wow...that sure does look close in color. Mines has a 302.

45acp

Loc.
Texarkana AR
I have never in my life understood brand loyalists, and never will understand why someone would get upset over an emblem on an internal combustion engine.

If you wanna put a mouse in there, go ahead. Its your truck, not ours.

And to whoever said small block chevy heads suck and they played catch-up to ford heads, all i can do is LOL.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
45acp said:
I have never in my life understood brand loyalists, and never will understand why someone would get upset over an emblem on an internal combustion engine.

If you wanna put a mouse in there, go ahead. Its your truck, not ours.

And to whoever said small block chevy heads suck and they played catch-up to ford heads, all i can do is LOL.

Naw, I would like to see an EB with a Big ass Rat motor in it, but dam that would be a lot of work