• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I wanna put a small block chevy in my 71

cjjhalfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oologah, OK _
Panama71 said:
I have to wonder why you would want to do this? Not because of brand loyalty ( I don't have much), but because you will lose one of the best parts of spending that much effort on a vehicle.

What you would lose is a lot of the "Man..your truck is sweeet!!" factor. The Chevy guys will bash you for having a Ford, the Ford guys will bash you for using a Chevy engine. Sure some people will think its cool but alot won't.

I know that I lose all interest in a Bronco that has a Chevy engine. Nothing else you have done will impress me after I see that (and I like some chevies and have no prejudice againt their motors). I am not sure why that is the way I feel, but I do know its true.

Seems like a lot of effort to go through for no good return.

Kind of my take. I am a purist when it comes to the brand of powerplant; that's just my thing. I've seen too many old Fords ruined with off-brand engines. Now I have friends that have some very nice GM and Chrysler products, and I really like some of the old "brand-x" cars out there - and the SBC is a damned fine engine. But I feel the same way at any car show I go to. Find a cool '40 Ford, and it turns out to be just another mix breed mutt. All that money spent and I lose interest as soon as I see the two center header tubes side by side. And I've seen more than a few guys notice that and just turn away. I wouldn't expect my friend to drop a Dodge 318 in his '68 Vette, just because he happens to have one "laying around". I just find it odd that with all of the Ford stuff you can buy and swap for, someone would want to even ruin a Bronco with a Chevy drivetrain. I guess I could see it if Ford never made a good V8, much less actually put one in it. But to each his own. I think it sucks.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
I just don't get it. I have no bias with regard to Chevy vs Ford, but it doesn't make sense to go to all that trouble when you can easily drop in a 302, a fuel injected 5.0, or even a 351 into a bronco with almost no trouble.

cjhalfcab makes a good point. I like Corvettes, but I've never seen one modified to run a small block Ford. Why would anybody bother to do it?

Now I can understand certain vehicles where there are few viable options for upgrading the powerplant using the same brand motor. Things like early Scouts or FJ40 Landcruisers don't have the luxury of being able to simply bolt in a late model fuel injected engine. But Ford owners do have that option, thats precisely one of the advantages of owning an early bronco. Many bronco owners are able to mix and match old and new technology with bolt on disc brakes, power steering, auto trannys, fuel injection, power brakes, etc. Since I don't see any real advantage of using a SBC I don't see why anyone would go to all the hassle.

But its your bronco so you can do whatever you like. You can lower your bronco and install euro tail light for all I care, just don't expect to be the most popular guy at bronco gatherings.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I got to thinking after you put in the SBC you could get ahold of the Trucks TV show and get the number to the shop that painted there Bronco and have your bronco painted purple and white and have a picure of a horse painted on the side since a whole lot of people here liked that too. LOL

NewYorkBronco_Dave

Loc.
Rochester NY
You are a very brave man just to bring it up...

I had a Scout with a hi po 289 in it. The truck SCREAMED but working on it was a nightmare. The original owner wrecked his mustang back in the early 70s, so he took the 289 and dropped it into his Scout. The biggest problem was only he knew how things went together. He cobbled GM, Ford and International parts together, and fabricated what he couldn't make fit. I'm okay at turning a wrench, but there were a million times I just stood there and scratched my head. "What the heck is that, and how did he get it in there!?!" Mechanic shops actually turned me down flat. "Sorry, it's just not something we're comfortable working on..."

If you have a free, fully built bad ass chevy engine and you are a master mechanic it might make some sense, but I'd still sell the chevy and get a SBF.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I think the most important question is why do you want to work on a fat HEI distributor thats crammed in the back? ;D