• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I want a 5 speed but DON'T want a body lift???

cruiser

nv4500,3550, or ZF will any work without a body lift? dont want to destroy the hump/tunnel, but some mods would be ok.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
check out the links section there are write ups on the install of all of these tranny's off hand I dont think the ZF of NV require body lifts but they tend to make it a bit easier to install.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You can probably get away with an NV3550, but you will have to cut a larger hole in the tunnel. This info can be found with a little creativity in your search words using the function above...several people talked abotu doing it, I am pretty sure they all succombed to the BL. The bottom line, however, is that there is always a compromise....you may not want a BL, but how bad do you want a 5spd?

If its a matter of $$, why fret over $100 BL when you will be spending $2K on a transmission conversion. If it seems like a pain to do the BL, then you are definitely not ready for a tranny conversion. IF its a look, stance thing. The 1" BL is barley noticeable.

The ZF or NV4500 definitely require more clearancing. For the 4500, a 1"BL and a BIG hole including removal of the channel under the flat part of the tunnel or a 2" BL and some trimming of the channel and a new hole. Cant say for the ZF. DOnt use the ZF tech article as an example, the 2WD model in the tech article was never ran--as far as I know--and is unproven. As for a 4WD ZF, do some searches and possibly pm some of the posters from those threads if you have additional Qs. IF you have any specific Qs on the NV3550 or 4500, ask away. Good luck.

OsideDave

nv4500,3550, or ZF will any work without a body lift? dont want to destroy the hump/tunnel, but some mods would be ok.

Me too! For some reason I do not like body lifts. I am currently looking at my options now for a 5 speed or auto OD without body lift.

BlackHorse

3550 and 4500 work with no BL. I've done one of each. 4500 with no BL will require a good size hole in the tunnel but nothing you can't cover with some sheet metal work.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The WH 1" BL is a really nice "item"....I am not a fan of excessive BL, but they serve their place. When you want to go EFI or a 351W with HD engine mounts, tell me how much you hate BL then...or maybe you want to spend $400 for a new FG raised hood when you have a perfect stock one in the garage.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
3550 and 4500 work with no BL. I've done one of each. 4500 with no BL will require a good size hole in the tunnel but nothing you can't cover with some sheet metal work.

I like to see how big of a hole you had to cut for the 4500 without a BL...seriously, not being a smart-ass. The 3550, I can kind of picture how big it needs to be, but for the NV4500, it would have to be long and reasonably wide...I too have installed both.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I agree with cruiser, as I'm also not a big fan of body lifts. The only way I could get my new EFI 351W to fit was to switch to a fiberglass hood. But I was happy to ditch the stock hood in order to avoid a body lift. I guess every owner just has to build their truck to their liking. Some guys love body lifts, some guys don't.

OP
OP
C

cruiser

bronko69er that looks great, good job. Is that the stock tunnel height? did you make the shifter? thanks

Amac70

ME
I originally installed my zf with no body lift. Fit just fine. Just couldn't get headers in there with no body lift. If i would have installed the headers first there would not have been a problem. The whole in the tunnel is not very big either maybe 8x6. You do have to cut out the cross support but it hasn't seemed to effect anything over the last 5 years.

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
bronko69er that looks great, good job. Is that the stock tunnel height? did you make the shifter? thanks

Thanks, That is the stock tunnel height (plus DP thickness), and I made the shifter out of 3/4" SS rod.

I made that DP cover cause I had the 3sp shifter hole to cover upa as well as the old T-shifter hole (new one was farther back).

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
A 3550 will fit with no BL.

At least mine did.

I made tunnel cover and installed a new rubber floor cover with insulation under it. The shift boot will cover up the tower on the trans where it sticks up.

Attachments

• Bronco interior.JPG
    Bronco interior.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 80