• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I was thinking of trading-in my Bronco for a Hybrid......

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
Talking about hybrids I heard from someone that there was a study done comparing the overall cost of a hybrid to something else like a Honda Civic. It said something in five years the Hybrid was more expensive than the other car(s) unless some certain miles of driving were attained every year. The arguement was supposedly the initial cost, insurance, and maintenance of a new hybrid car is a bit more than a normal fuel efficient car. If someone can post a picture for me I can show you a picture of one extreme fuel efficient car my friend took a picture of on the side of the road when in Europe. It reminds me of the car Urkel drove in Family Matters.

I think a lot about why did I put a 408 in my Bronco being that it is my daily driver for a few months out of the year. But when people make comments it makes it worth it.

OP
OP

With all of today's modern technology, why can't we just drill straight down and take all of the middle east's oil from the bottom side?? ?:?

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
You are talking about the European Smart Car or the Swatch Car. It usually has a snazzy bright paint job but the car is sooo tiny. The car dealerships that sell these things literally have them stacked on top of each other in these separate all glass compartments about 3 stories tall. Talk about funny sights while driving down the road.

SVCPresentationPipeline-Start

OP
OP

raleigh_bronco said:
You are talking about the European Smart Car
Not going to feel too smart when you get broadsided by an Excursion..... :eek:

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
When I was looking for my daily driver I looked at the hybrids, but ended up getting a my TDI Jetta (45-55 mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is ;D ). The problems I had with the hybrids that I test drove are-

1) My Jetta has more power.

2) It has more room.

3) The mileage is the same or better (highway).

4) When your warranty is up do you have any idea what it costs to replace the batteries/electric motor/computers on those??!! My TDI is based on a 20 year old engine platform-easy skeezy to repair and get parts for.

The one drawback to the Jetta?-My buddies putting Roxy or rainbow stickers on the back when I'm not looking-I hate those guys %) ;D

But hey-you can always get a TDI Golf too!

Next step for me - bio-diesel!!

PPiazza

Loc.
Newark California
tabascom16 said:
Talking about hybrids I heard from someone that there was a study done comparing the overall cost of a hybrid to something else like a Honda Civic. It said something in five years the Hybrid was more expensive than the other car(s) unless some certain miles of driving were attained every year. The arguement was supposedly the initial cost, insurance, and maintenance of a new hybrid car is a bit more than a normal fuel efficient car. If someone can post a picture for me I can show you a picture of one extreme fuel efficient car my friend took a picture of on the side of the road when in Europe. It reminds me of the car Urkel drove in Family Matters.

I think a lot about why did I put a 408 in my Bronco being that it is my daily driver for a few months out of the year. But when people make comments it makes it worth it.

Funny you should say that. My wife told me the other day we should get a hybrid. I made a spreadsheet that compared gas millage, car payment insurance and cost to maintain. Instead of buying a 30K hybrid we bought her a low millage 2001 used civic cash out. Less millage but over all it costs it saves us almost half the cost of what a hybrid would cost.

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I'm looking at getting a easy on gas econo car. Looking at the Mazda3 sport notch-back. Gets over 30 on the hiway, hell of alot more than my big-block Suburban. I'll save the Suburban for pulling things & long trips with lots of people. The wife drives a Outback turbo & it's just not fair that she gets so much more per mile than me. ;) The Bronco only gets driven a few miles a month & my P/U gets even less. I need to get my priorities figured out...

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
Hybrids really shine when you drive them in stop and go city traffic. You don't gain very much on the highway - which is what they tested in the article. In fact, most hybrids will get BETTER mileage in the city since the stop and go driving primarily uses the electric motor.

The bottom line is that you need to live in the middle of Manhatten, LA, or any other big city for a hybrid to pay off.

OP
OP

KST1 said:
Here's an article Pop. Mech. did a while back that compares Gas and Hybrid Honda Civics on a 3000 mile cross country trip. I found it interesting.

Hybrid/ Gas Comparison- Popular Mechanics

-D
I found it funny that you'd have to drive the hybrid 144,000 miles to make up for the benefit of owning one as opposed to the gas version civic. They didn't mention that the electrical portion of the hybrid probably will need at least some sort of maintenance or repair by then. How much will that cost.

I'd go with the gas version.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
1977 said:
I found it funny that you'd have to drive the hybrid 144,000 miles to make up for the benefit of owning one as opposed to the gas version civic. They didn't mention that the electrical portion of the hybrid probably will need at least some sort of maintenance or repair by then. How much will that cost.

I'd go with the gas version.

You make a good point at doing the payback analysis on a gas versus hybrid. While hybrid vehicles offer very high gas mileage there are comprable gas vehicles that do approach the average mileage of a hybrid but are less expensive to purchase and maintain. It doesn't make much sense to purchase a hybrid to save money on gas when your total cost of ownership is actually higher than purchasing a gas vehicle.

Keep in mind also that many hybrid vehicles are very expensive and, due to their recent popularity, often are sold at markups thousands of dollars above MSRP. Take for example the Toyota Prius. It has gotten a lot of press and Toyota is selling them as fast as they can bring them in. I've read reports that many dealers are marking them up $5,000 ABOVE MSRP. That base price of a Prius is already $21,275. With options and dealer markup it is very common for people to pay closer to $30,000 for one of these vehicles.
http://www.toyota.com/prius/

Contrast that with the KIA Spectra. This is a vehicle that is rated to get 25/32 mpg. Not bad. Then look at the base sticker price and it is only $13,390. Plus many of these are discounted further at the dealer, not marked up.
http://www.kia.com/newspectra/index.php

Another example is the Chevy Aveo. Again it is a comprable gas vehicle that gets reasonably good gas mileage. Plus the base sticker price is only $9,995!
http://www.chevrolet.com/aveo/?seo=...MC9ODC14409P460380B457672S0&cp_keyword=892953

In the PM article it was pointed out that it would take 144,000 miles of use before the hybrid version of the Honda Civic would save enough money in gas to pay back its premium over the gas version. And that is only for a difference in price of just $1440. How about a difference in price of $10,000 or $15,000 when compared to other, less expensive economy cars. I just can't see paying twice the money for a Prius that I would for any ordinary economy car. Or paying just as much for a Prius as I would a fully loaded SUV. It doesn't make sense.

Hogback

1977 said:
With all of today's modern technology, why can't we just drill straight down and take all of the middle east's oil from the bottom side?? ?:?

i like this idea

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
mlogan24 said:
When I was looking for my daily driver I looked at the hybrids, but ended up getting a my TDI Jetta (45-55 mpg, depending on how heavy my foot is ;D ). The problems I had with the hybrids that I test drove are-

1) My Jetta has more power.

2) It has more room.

3) The mileage is the same or better (highway).

4) When your warranty is up do you have any idea what it costs to replace the batteries/electric motor/computers on those??!! My TDI is based on a 20 year old engine platform-easy skeezy to repair and get parts for.

The one drawback to the Jetta?-My buddies putting Roxy or rainbow stickers on the back when I'm not looking-I hate those guys %) ;D

But hey-you can always get a TDI Golf too!

Next step for me - bio-diesel!!

I've also been looking into bio-diesel
42 city & 49 hwy
for 19,930 new or you can also buy used for less
Seems like a better alternative to an hybrid....

KJHill

Contributor
Loc.
Central WA
I don't want to pick any fights, but you can't realy compare a Honda or Toyota with a Kia or Chevy. Econobox cars might be similar in some ways (milage), but the manufacture behind the econobox is what makes it a good car versus a POS cheap car. Again just my worthless $.02 worth. :cool:

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Couldn't agree more KJHill, we had an Aveo for the 35 mile each way commute we have. It got repurchased by GM in the Lemon Law after only owning it for 6 months and 6 trips to the shop.

I will stick with my Toyota Corolla S. In traffic we get 33mph and 43 on the Hwy. We looked at the Prius as well but at the time there was an 18 month wait, and was $13,000 more then our Corolla, which has 28,000 on it in 9 months, we bought it new.

Civics are not for tall people, I am 6'3" and with the seat all the way back and the steering whell all the way up my knees still hit the wheel.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I'd get one that is 1-2 years old. The TDI is the same in the 05-06 models as the 03's and 04's. It's funny that people/automanufacturers get so hung up on expensive to maintain hybrids when diesels are such a better buy. One hybrid I would buy in the future and would probably have incredible mileage would be a diesel hybrid. The problem we have in the states is people still aren't familiar/comfortable with diesel cars. But that is changing with the popularity of full-size diesel trucks as shown by how they can't keep the new 2.8 CRD Liberty's on the lot. I think many will be surprised at how many different small diesel vehicles will be available in the future.

72bronco

Bronco Guru
The problem with widespread use of diesel engines in the U.S. has to do more with environmental laws. The U.S. has more stringent environmental requirements that make it very difficult to meet emissions requirements for passenger cars with diesel engines. There are new cleaner technologies coming out that show promise but there have to be some more advancements before we'll see diesel powered passenger cars in the USA.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
all i know is i have a '89 honda crx si and on my last tank of gas i got just over 36 mpg. i wouldn't mind a bit more, but i'm still happy with that at $2.96 per gallon.