• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I was thinking of trading-in my Bronco for a Hybrid......

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
72bronco said:
The problem with widespread use of diesel engines in the U.S. has to do more with environmental laws. The U.S. has more stringent environmental requirements that make it very difficult to meet emissions requirements for passenger cars with diesel engines. There are new cleaner technologies coming out that show promise but there have to be some more advancements before we'll see diesel powered passenger cars in the USA.

True-but my prediction is based on next years (or is it 07) federal low-sulfer requirements.

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I drive a powerstroke Excursion and then invest in hybrid motor companies. One way or another I will win!!! ;D

tabascom16

Loc.
Salisbury, PA
raleigh_bronco said:
You are talking about the European Smart Car or the Swatch Car. It usually has a snazzy bright paint job but the car is sooo tiny. The car dealerships that sell these things literally have them stacked on top of each other in these separate all glass compartments about 3 stories tall. Talk about funny sights while driving down the road.

SVCPresentationPipeline-Start

The car in my friends picture is even smaller than this. It only has three wheels. Can someone post the picture if I email it to them?

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
XXshown by how they can't keep the new 2.8 CRD Liberty's on the lot.

I was reading the latest ConsumersReport in the library today and they got lousey milage with the Liberty diesel. like 13 mpg in town.

The only thing Id give up my EB for would be a 98 12 valve Cummins Quad cab shortbed 4WD 5 speed, and the only one for sale I can find is in South Dakota, a long way from Ga.

Be able to haul triple the passengers and triple the cargo on less fuel.
oh yeah, and have A/C.

I drive a 20 yr old $200 30 MPG econobox, or Tokoyo Cofffin as I like to call it, if some cellphone yapping latte sipping soccer mom in her Surburban hits me, Im dead.

cbearly

Loc.
Wellington, Colorado
Something to think about:

roundhouse said:
I drive a 20 yr old $200 30 MPG econobox, or Tokoyo Cofffin as I like to call it, if some cellphone yapping latte sipping soccer mom in her Surburban hits me, Im dead.

I have a cousin in Texas that was driving a Ford Taurus then a girl in a Civic made a left turn in front of him. He was doing about 45mph and hit the Civic in the rear passenger door. It tore the Civic in half, but did minimal damage to his Taurus. Didn't even deploy the drivers side air bag. Luckily nobody was hurt.

He wondered if the Civic had been wrecked before and had two halves welded together or something, but he did a salvage search on the vin# and it came back clean.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

• Civic_Crash.jpg
    Civic_Crash.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 19
  • Taurus_Crash.jpg
    Taurus_Crash.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

CHALKOUTLINE

Loc.
Sacramento, CA
I agree with the cost vs benifit of buying/not buying a hybrid, HOWEVER, there is a big tax benefit (atleast here in CA %) ), I believe it is a $2500 credit. I I drive an Audi TT, Honda Accord, a Nissan Quest, An old-ass Dodge Pick-up, or a Bronco ;D whatever suits my needs, gas costs what it costs, that's life. I wish it were cheaper, or Free even, but we little people are at the mercy of "them". So just keep-on truckin'!!!!

Skipdevil

Loc.
San Diego
I am curious why ethanol mixed fuel has not become more common. It is cheaper, better for the environment and just about any car can run. It also reduces our dependance on fossil fules with a renewable fuel source...corn. I am looking into running my Bronco on mixed fuel. All you have to do is adjust the fuel / air mixture.

Any thoughts?

Skipdevil

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
KJHill said:
I'm looking at getting a easy on gas econo car. Looking at the Mazda3 sport notch-back. Gets over 30 on the hiway, hell of alot more than my big-block Suburban.

You'll like that car. I have the 4-door Sedan 3i (2.0L) You can save ~$1700 going with the Sedan 3i vs the Hatchback 3s 2.3L (3i isn't available in the hatchback). The sedan is also quieter for interior noise that the hatchback. GET THE STICKSHIFT.
I was out the door for under $15,000 with $500 in incentives & Ford discount (Mazda is a Ford brand now...so if you know anyone who works at Ford and still has some free Friends & Family PIN #'s left, you can get the hook-up.)

Attachments

• Mazda3 & Mazda6.JPG
    Mazda3 & Mazda6.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 4

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
It tore the Civic in half,

YIKES !

saving gas isnt that safe is it?

guess each of us has to decide, save gas in a little car,
or
save your life in a big vehicle.

those unibody cars are just one big crumple zone.