• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideal idle question

KyddsPly

I have a 347, mild cam at 216/228
Timing is set at 12° idle 36 at 2300 RPM. Right now my idle is at 800 RPMs, what would the idle be? Manual transmission

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds pretty perfect to me. I used to set mine at 700, but many engines prefer their own sweet spot. Especially when they have an aftermarket cam in them. Not that yours is radical or anything like that, but it's no longer "stock" is what I mean.

Are you EFI? I could not remember, but it sounds like not. If carbureted, you can try from 600 to 800 and see what you like. Mostly it comes down to get it low, but not so low it stalls at lights when coming to a stop. And not so high that it continues to run-on or diesel when you try to turn it off when hot.
I've run at 500 before, just on the trails to let it crawl slower with my tall gearing. But generally for the street, if it was between 700 and 750 I was pretty happy. Your 800 is only 50-100 more, so we're still talking about basically the same area.

Paul