• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideal width of rubber on 17x9 beadlock wheels ?

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
What would be the ideal width of rubber on a 17x9 beadlock wheel to ensure that the bead lock functions at its optimal performance of retaining the rubber

OP
OP
70Canada

70Canada

Loc.
Canada
I’m not looking for a suggestion of tire size like 33, 35 etc so not relative to clearances or heights etc.. just a functional question

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve run as narrow as 10.50 up to 15.50 (per on the tire size on the side wall, not actually measured) without issues on that size wheel and had proper function. The clamp ring will hold any size/width of tire on and function, it is just mechanics the lock feature will work even if the tire will not stretch to the normal bead on the back.

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
What would be the ideal width of rubber on a 17x9 beadlock wheel to ensure that the bead lock functions at its optimal performance of retaining the rubber

35 x 12.5 on 17 x 8.5 TRBeads. Not aired down in pic. Can't find one....But when I do go low I go real low.

Attachments

• IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 71

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Are you asking about tire width or bead thickness? Next question, what type of beadlock? Single outer with a clamp ring (or dual w/ clamp rings) or dual inner beadlock like the H1 or Hutchinson designs? Or something else entirely like a Staun's inflatable?

Timstrk

I've run 33x12.50s and 37x12.50s with no problem. Wider tire protects the rims in the rocks.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's a beadlock. If it fits on the rim the beadlock will clamp it in place. Damn the size nor the tire pressure.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
On a regular non-beadlock type wheel I always use a general rule of a tire that's at least 2" but not more than 4" wider than the wheel.
But with a beadlock, as mentioned it can pretty much be anything you want because the bead is physically clamped. So you could theoretically run a 9" wide tire on that 9" wide wheel.
But then they start to look a little funky with the sidewall pooched out some.

The good news is that most, if not all of the tires you will be looking at have a recommended rim width associated with them. The important bit about that fact is that the larger tire companies, and probably a lot of the smaller ones now too, will only mount a tire to a wheel that fits within that range the manufacturer specifies.
I tend to go narrower slightly than the tire manufacturers normally do, with maybe a 12.50" tire on an 8" wheel instead of the usual 8.5 to 10. But the larger chain stores won't do it anymore.

Paul

pbwcr

I run stock Ford Alcoas which are 7.5" wide at the rim and use 12.5x35x15 tires. Of course the rims are not beadlocks and I seldom air down the deserts of Baja. This is a great combo and have use this setup for 15+ years. My use is pretty hard core and rim damage is kept to a minimum. Never noticed any unusual handling with the narrow rims.
BTW, this combo is pretty common in the places where I drive.
It is true that I have to use a mom & pop tire place to get the things mounted and balanced. The name brand stores wont help me.
Several of the guys have converted those Alcoas to beadlocks and the result is an 8.5" rim.
PaulW