• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideas for sight glass on C4 fluid level

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I dont trust the dipstick on my C4,I want to make a fluid level sightglass but aint quite sure on how to do this, any ideas?

TOOL

Loc.
Sparks
At work we have old radaitor tanks from peterbilts that have 1" sight glasses on them that would work great.
Thanks Mr.N and do you have any pics.?

mr.n

There is a write up on 4x4wire about adding a sight to a Dana 300 T-case. I figured I'd always add one to my Dana 20.... (Can't find link right now, but it has some good info on the type of tube to use, and connectors)

Then when doing the stock pan for a temp gauge, I figure I'd try a sight tube on the C4. So far so good. I'll take pics tomorrow.
I just hooked the pan to the vent on the top, with a T to the firewall to breath.
It worked great when the last time I changed fluid, could see it being sucked in.
Note: I've a big flat belly pan that protects the tube.

C4_Pan_gasketsolution_1.jpg

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
There is a write up on 4x4wire about adding a sight to a Dana 300 T-case. I figured I'd always add one to my Dana 20.... (Can't find link right now, but it has some good info on the type of tube to use, and connectors)

Sight glass on a D20? Why??
Heres my cure

Attachments

• TC_Cover_1.JPG
    TC_Cover_1.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 21
  • TC_Cover_4.jpg
    TC_Cover_4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 28

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Grainger has industrial sight glasses.

I can think of 2 versions. One is a glass window that goes into a hole. This is how my air compressor and my motorcycle are. But for the is work right you need to mount it at the waterline where fluid meets air. Also the level variation is very limited. That is the working range is limited to the diameter of the window. So a half inch window and you can't see anything outside that half inch of level.

The other version is a tube. Atlas does this with there transfer case. Fluids seek there own level. so a hole below the fluid level into a sight glass, another above it vented back into the same place and you will have a level gauges that can show several inches of fluid level. Add fluid and when the dipstick reads min and max just use a sharpie to draw lines on the tube for reference.