• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ididit column to later model connector wiring sanity check

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy.

Sanity check time please. My brain is fried but i think i have this part figured out.

Ididit direct fit column with GM style connector. Painless harness, 71 dash (dash hazard switch), manual trans (no gear indicator light).

this for GM plug:
GM turn signal.JPG

this for painless harness
bronco turn.JPG

and this for late model connector
late model pinout.JPG

i had to cut out GM style anyway, and desiring to go direct to late model connector and not have extra jumper that came with painless harness.

i come up with this to match terminology and convert colors

conversion table.JPG

this leaves me with 7 wires INTO the column side plug and 8 going out (no gear indicator light wire in the plug, but hazard feed is in there)

does this make sense?

what about the white gm hazard feed, what happens if i connect it to red/blk even with the dash switch? do both/either switches then activate hazards?

thx

hank

eric0o1

Your color conversion is correct, you lost me at the wht GM hazard feed and the red/blk. The wht wire on a GM turn switch is for the brake light input from the brake switch, same with the rd/blk #918 on the Painless harness.

The wht/red #951 on the Painless harness will need to connect to the Brown wire from the GM turn signal switch. On paper, yes if you connect both the dash Hazard switch and the GM column mounted hazard switch, either switch will make the front & rear lights blink. Having never done it though, I'm not sure if there will be any issues.

OP
OP
hankjr

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Eric thank you. i honestly dont now either what i meant by white wire... in my mind i was knowing hazard (brown) but somehow fingers typed white.

i will likely not connect the brown for now, or maybe check it out when i get to testing phase. it seems like it would be ok, but i havent traced all the way back through the harness.

Thx for a great product BTW.

Hank