• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ididit Steering column and mounting block clearance to dash

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi, day away from closing dash, would like a verification before I close it up as me and my helper are 120 between us.

Here is a picture of the mounting block which came with my Ididit steering column. I know now they have direct fit with welded tabs, but I've got a version from 5 or so years ago using a block to clamp column. No big deal as there is also a firewall clamp.

My concern, is there enough space between between the body mount on back of firewall, the ididit column block, and then the dash where the two bolts are tightened?

I already figured the set screw is not going to be used as there is no way to get to it when dash is in place.

Attachments

• steering wheel block mount.jpg
    steering wheel block mount.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 57

Jebus

Loc.
Longview, WA
Mine is like that. It worked fine although I had my dash in. There are two access holes at bottom of dash panel. My column was smaller diameter at the bottom so I clamped with a length of rad hose around it and that made it fit perfect.

martinphoto

Looks to me like you could still use the setscrew if you wanted. Just pre tighten it before you clamp down with the bolts. Set the set screw so there are is a thread or two protruding through the inside. Use thread lock on it. If you need to remove the column in the future loosening the bolts will also free the setscrew.

OP
OP
73azbronco

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Set screw extends to far, would need to drill hole through dash. I checked the clamp will clamp my version of column and hold tight and provide good ground.