• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

If you could not afford ARB front and rear..

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have never setup gears, nor do I have anyone close that can help. A couple of the local 4x4 shops have quoted me prices for the lockers and the setup. It put me over my $1500. If I could setup the gears and tear them down anytime I wanted I would save up for the ARBs, but if I gotta pay someone to install the 4.11 gears and then pay them again to install the ARBs, it gets expensive.

A lot of the driving around here is flat. Some mud, but I don't like to subject my truck to that. The biggest stuff I could see is at riverock, GA 6 hours away.

If I install one ARB then I will install another to take advantage of the compressor.

Maybe I will just install the 4.11 stuff, pay for setup. Save and then install lockers, pay for setup.

I know i am not close but if you could drop them off I could do it for you.

I say do the rear first and stick to the 2wd stuff until you can do the front.
bax

OP
OP
brian72

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I know i am not close but if you could drop them off I could do it for you.

bax

2wd with the winch to compensate??? Would you need the rear chunk only??

bax

Contributor
Old Member
2wd with the winch to compensate??? Would you need the rear chunk only??

Yes Only the gear case, and pinion support.

Peace and love brothers! It's only an opinion. and it's your opinion. Thumb and finger together. Hummmm, Hummmm.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If you are playing in the mud you should have lockers front and rear. If you are just trail riding, lock the rear and save up. There is not a whole lot of rock crawling in Tampa, so you don't need to worry there. If you are going to drive on the street, don't spool.

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
If you are playing in the mud you should have lockers front and rear. If you are just trail riding, lock the rear and save up. There is not a whole lot of rock crawling in Tampa, so you don't need to worry there. If you are going to drive on the street, don't spool.

I will second everything said here. Also, if you play in the sand you can leave both front and rear open and run bald tires. Digging = bad.

If you are rockcrawling it is extremely valuable to have both locked.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
not in the rear. speaking of detroits...you got another one like the one i got from you awhile back?? i love a detroit in the rear;D

No, I broke the other one.............. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. ;D

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
You're an A$$! I did read the entire thread. Original post was:

"If you could not afford ARBs front and rear what would you buy? Not looking for the full spectrum of what is available...what is 2nd best?"

To which I replied to get Detroits non-selectable.

Then the responses (both by the same author Evil...) said:

"Just do the front ARB and leave the rear open. The front digging both tires works way better in some rocks for sure. You could weld the rear up since you would be replacing the carrier later."

and

"Front or rear first depends on your plans for the truck. I have done ways (locked rear only/front only) Front works way better since you do not need to bump over stuff with the front."

I stand by my response that running a locked front and open rear is very dangerous. I have observed a resulting roll first hand that destroyed the rig and injured the driver. But I guess if you say it's not dangerous........

I just don't want this fella dying because he got bad advice on the internet. I'll retract my opinion of you when you quit insinuating that I don't read threads.

So I'm goning to die by running with just my front ARB locked? What are you smokin? Explain more. Maybe that driver is retarded...... And I am just playing with fire with front dig only...... Have you been offroad before?

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Here we go.......

popcorn.gif

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I think the thread is going off-topic to what Brian has asked...

But if you're going to lock one end, lock the rear end first - you'll get way more benefit on most trails than locking just the front.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
You're an A$$! I did read the entire thread. Original post was:

"If you could not afford ARBs front and rear what would you buy? Not looking for the full spectrum of what is available...what is 2nd best?"

To which I replied to get Detroits non-selectable.

Then the responses (both by the same author Evil...) said:

"Just do the front ARB and leave the rear open. The front digging both tires works way better in some rocks for sure. You could weld the rear up since you would be replacing the carrier later."

and

"Front or rear first depends on your plans for the truck. I have done ways (locked rear only/front only) Front works way better since you do not need to bump over stuff with the front."

I stand by my response that running a locked front and open rear is very dangerous. I have observed a resulting roll first hand that destroyed the rig and injured the driver. But I guess if you say it's not dangerous........

I just don't want this fella dying because he got bad advice on the internet. I'll retract my opinion of you when you quit insinuating that I don't read threads.

Thanks DUDE! I really appreciate the label; your judgement means so much to me. Its like a gold star from back in elementary school.

I "ASS"umed that your dangerous comments were directed at my suggestion. I didnt think I had given him any advice on how to drive an open/locked combo, which might have made any of my suggestions dangerous. ..."reread (or actually read) the post." in my post refers to MY comments. If I had said thread or "so and so's post" that would refer to others' comments. Anyone with selectables, can run any comination of open or locked axles for different scenarios...I gave no such advice. Anytime you go offroad and over obstacles there is a level of danger invovled...having the "right" combination of traction devices is one way we-as offroaders- mitigate such risks...hence I am trying to get the man into dual selectable lockers. Judging by his posts thats what he would really like to have. I was just giving him a scenario where he could off-set the costs by doing the front first. Since it is quite expensive to setup a front-esp an ARB-at a shop, you really only want to do it once.

Since I can I now assume that your 'dangerous' comments were not directed at my advice and were instead directed at "Evil", I WILL commend your proofing and editing skills. ;D

Can I get a retraction, Mr Editor? Or, does that make me more of an "A$$"? :-*

John

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Back to topic. Brian, do what you can afford now. Since you are not wheeling that "hard" now down in beautiful, sandy, but muddy FL...you may not need lockers at all. If you think you will travel more to wheel it harder in the future, then consider going selectables...one at a time. The rear probably does in practicality of use make the most sense, BUT, if you want both selectable...consider my suggestion above, keep in mind AMC's comments and have fun. Nothing wrong with a detroit in the rear axle.

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks DUDE! I really appreciate the label; your judgement means so much to me. Its like a gold star from back in elementary school.

I "ASS"umed that your dangerous comments were directed at my suggestion. I didnt think I had given him any advice on how to drive an open/locked combo, which might have made any of my suggestions dangerous. ..."reread (or actually read) the post." in my post refers to MY comments. If I had said thread or "so and so's post" that would refer to others' comments. Anyone with selectables, can run any comination of open or locked axles for different scenarios...I gave no such advice. Anytime you go offroad and over obstacles there is a level of danger invovled...having the "right" combination of traction devices is one way we-as offroaders- mitigate such risks...hence I am trying to get the man into dual selectable lockers. Judging by his posts thats what he would really like to have. I was just giving him a scenario where he could off-set the costs by doing the front first. Since it is quite expensive to setup a front-esp an ARB-at a shop, you really only want to do it once.

Since I can I now assume that your 'dangerous' comments were not directed at my advice and were instead directed at "Evil", I WILL commend your proofing and editing skills. ;D

Can I get a retraction, Mr Editor? Or, does that make me more of an "A$$"? :-*

John

Fixed. See how difficult communication can be, especially when not face-to-face. Thanks for the clarification.

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
bax[/QUOTE]

sound advice
I've got no problems wheelin some hard stuff now and again. just know your limits. arb rear is 31 spline have it installed when you do the gears get the compresser for both f+r save the $900 or so for the front, get it done later
learn to wheel using your r locker then you'll be ready for the front

Attachments

• arb 001.jpg
    arb 001.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 19
  • arb 002.jpg
    arb 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 18
  • arb 003.jpg
    arb 003.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 21
  • arb 004.jpg
    arb 004.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 16

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
STEERING axle will be pulling the dead weight of your vehicle if both rear wheels aren't getting traction. This is dangerous in that you have no control over where the rear of the vehicle goes

I still don't see how running the ARB in front locked and the rear unlocked has anything to do with the rear sliding. Locking the rear isn't going to stop the slide at all. Getting off the gas and not hammering down dragging the front around is the problem. I.e. retarded driver. A locker is only going to make the rear slide around more in that case than open. Just not seeing a valid point.

Its OK I see your from The State Up North and probably a scUM fan.:)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
while selectable lockers are a good choice especailly in the front. A locked only front is hard on ujoints/axle shafts and hard to steer that will get you in more trouble than a locker in the rear only.
I can understand doing the front first as it would save money but most people really dont need both ends locked. A rear locker can get you in a lot of places with no need of a locked front.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm using my rig for 80% trail and 20% street. My budget is tight, I try to do most of the work myself. I found I was lacking in the traction department and kept getting snatched by heeps and ninjas(err, samauri's). $34 mini spool in the rear has fixed that. I would love to have an ARB, but the money just isn't there. My next move is swap to an aussie in the rear to save the tires, then to regear and aussie the front. I haven't heard the first bad thing about the aussies, but I have heard plenty of people blowing a detroit when an axle snaps.

Here's my advice:
Take your pig to Bax and let him setup the gears for it, or better yet, if he's willing just drive down there with your bronco and parts and you both work to get the front and rear geared and install the lockers that fit the budget now. That way you aren't paying someone else $500 per axles just to setup gears and you get to learn how to setup the gears first hand. Buy Bax's family a real nice steak dinner, some flowers for the misses, some fuzzy dice for kid and a case for the man. You'll pay half as much and learn infinitely more. Again, that is if he is up for doing both ends...

Rockit

Locking the rear isn't going to stop the slide at all. Getting off the gas and not hammering down dragging the front around is the problem. I.e. retarded driver. A locker is only going to make the rear slide around more in that case than open.
True. I've run every combination and imaginable of open, welded, auburn ls, lock rights, detroits and ARB's. When on a side hill, the locked or spooled end tends to slide down. I've done the same side hill, 5 minutes apart, ARB spooled and I crab walked all the way. Open I cruised right across.

If I can't have ARB f/r, I'll stick one in the front and weld the rear. The benefit of having all 4 pulling is worth having to do a bit of counter steering.
Prefer welded or spooled to open in sloppy road conditions also.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
If I can't have ARB f/r, I'll stick one in the front and weld the rear. The benefit of having all 4 pulling is worth having to do a bit of counter steering.
Prefer welded or spooled to open in sloppy road conditions also.

Get out of my head mister. The spool isn't that bad on the street, but there I go trying to kill folks again.%) But to me, I know how it is going to act every single time. Locker, open not so much. And it is not that hard on your tires as long as it isn't a DD or you like to park in parking lots as a hobby.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The nice thing about a spool is since my e-brake don't work, just turn the front tires all the way in one direction...and don't try this as you may die...

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
If I was in this situation again, I would spend the money to get the front end setup with a ARB, and just run a spool, or lunch box locker like the Aussie in the rear until I could save up for a ARB rear. You should be able to do that for under $1500. I like to drive on the streets so the spool would be my last choice. If your OK with a spool go for it! With Detroits front and rear there has been a handful of times mostly in mud or snow where I wish I had selectable lockers to keep from sliding sideways. If I had a daily driver I would want them for extended tire life and safer snowy/icy road conditions. I know your in Florida so snow and ice isn't an issue to you.
I am much more confident about Detroits lasting in a 31 spline (or larger) rear where axle breakage is rare for most people. In a D44 front with low gears and large tires axles and hubs are likely to break. With all the reports of Detroits breaking when other parts go I am surprised mine is still going strong after breaking two axles, a u-joint, and three hubs.