• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition Module Problem

TU2

Loc.
Nipomo
I've had problems with replacement ignition modules failing. I received a NPD catalog list listed 40 different modules with different stamping numbers of which I wasn't aware. My problem is the original is gone with no idea what the original number was. Is there any way to figure out the number without the old module. Thanks

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
Is it a Duraspark module? There are different modules for different year EBs. If you have the original connector, look at the color. I can’t remember for sure, but I think my 77 has a blue connector and that matches the module you’d need. I’m betting someone with more experience and knowledge will be better able to help. I do know that new modules can be crap 💩 from the start.

Randy

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
What year is your Bronco?

Broncos used a black (1974), green (1975) or a blue (1976-77) grommet module.
The engine wiring harness is different for all three but all the modules will physically connect to it.
They will not work though.

1703299245790.png

1703299259100.png

1703299276559.png

Speedrdr

Contributor
Not so wise OLD owl
Loc.
Paris, MS
I knew there was someone that had the schematic(s) for the modules. I’m just amazed that I remembered what color the one on my 77 was.

Randy

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
CarQuest, blue grommet no number. Made in China, junk!
Thanks

It seems to be the sad state of affairs these days, Off shore made parts... Occasionally, I ask my Napa Guy if he has an old dusty box on the shelf, because it is generally American made. My Napa mechanical fuel pump lasted about 700 miles and the ign box on my 79 is stamped China. Just noticed Duracell batteries are off shore made too. Damn shame...

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Except Amazon can't (won't) ship to California.
Rockauto has the Motorcraft DY893 (blue grommet) that fits 76-77 Broncos.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just noticed Duracell batteries are off shore made too. Damn shame...
Yep, just not like they used to.
I have a case of Duracell D size batteries made literally over 20 years ago, and they still have full power. It’s almost a shame to use them!
But I’d rather they not go to waste either. Just don’t have that many D-cell uses anymore.

OP
OP
T

TU2

Loc.
Nipomo
Is it a Duraspark module? There are different modules for different year EBs. If you have the original connector, look at the color. I can’t remember for sure, but I think my 77 has a blue connector and that matches the module you’d need. I’m betting someone with more experience and knowledge will be better able to help. I do know that new modules can be crap 💩 from the start.

Randy

What year is your Bronco?

Broncos used a black (1974), green (1975) or a blue (1976-77) grommet module.
The engine wiring harness is different for all three but all the modules will physically connect to it.
They will not work though.

View attachment 915847

View attachment 915848

View attachment 915849
Thanks

OP
OP
T

TU2

Loc.
Nipomo
Except Amazon can't (won't) ship to California.
Rockauto has the Motorcraft DY893 (blue grommet) that fits 76-77 Broncos.
Replaced with a Motorcraft, it failed. Found an old module in a junk yard, working fine so far. 40+ years old, made in America!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
How many of these companies that have cheap "China made" parts are US owned companies?

Most of them right??

Well, it's not China's fault is it? It's the greed of the US made companies who's only real goal for their company is the share holder's profits, not quality of parts because all that US owned company needs to do is SPEC out the quality they want and make sure the builder doing the work FOR that US company does it to spec so the quality is there. You can't tell me that the production facility in China hasn't been toured/visited/inspected by the home office boys...

Anyway, rant over but it's the corps wanting greater profit margins on the products (usually) once made in the US but outsourced for larger profit margins.

Go to a junkyard and see if you can get a used MOTORCRAFT unit because like everyone here mentioned already, reman units are junk!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Said that before as well. It’s also coming down to the end user (us) because we always want cheaper and cheaper, or prices that don’t rise.
The only way to do that with an increasing cost to manufacture, is to make it cheaper and less quality.
And reliability be damned.

Virtually every time a discussion comes up about which parts to buy, someone ends up talking about price, and the reason they bought the one they did was because it was cheaper and/or had a seemingly good warranty.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Agree Paul... this is why China makes everything because we're a "throw-away" society and you're right. SO many people seem to shop price first then the worthless warranty second and don't care if the part lasts more than a month.

It's like they expect their older car or 2nd car to need repairs so they just except it. :(