• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm ready to cut rockers - any words of wisdom?

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I'm in the process of installing a 1" body lift. After I'm through I'm going to cut the rockers and build some rock skis.
I'm looking for help in deciding the best process/design.
How much of the old rocker do I leave - 1", 2", none?
Sugestions on tieing the rock skis to the frame/body.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
Mad,

I read your write up. Have you installed the rock rails and do you have pics?

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
I'm kinda partial to mine and you can still use the side fuel tank. Pics are in my gallery.
Steve

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
I left 3/4" on outside under doors. It gave me a nice place for the weld. Look at pic in post 6,drop down. It also gives doors some room.

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
Here are mine. http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39972&postcount=249

I cut the rockers off leaving about a quarter inch and folded that over creating a nice lip. Welded 2 pieces of 2x4x.250 wall together so I have a 1/2" bulk head running the center of a 2x8 air tank/slider. Tied it into the cage and not the frame so i didn't restrict the frames ability to twist a little. I also tied the sliders into the door sill to help support that after cutting away the rocker that supported it. I left the width of a carpenters pencil as a gap so as everything twisted i didn't have to listen to sheet metal rubbing aganst the sliders. Also let them hang out a couple inches so I could use them to pivot off of rocks and if I had to use the hi lift jack it would keep it off of the doors
More pic's can be found in my build thread on Norcal Bronco. The link is below, the slider build starts on page 17.

OP
OP
stout22

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
mad - I like the idea of adding the black pipe to add strength.
blwngsket -I like the idea of an airtank.

I've got the 2"x6" tube and planning on tying to the frame and center roll cage mounts.

Thinking about trying to come up with a way to bolt this stuff to the frame so it can be removed.