• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Improving on Lift Off Door Hinge

cmmcd72

Just getting ready to replace my pins and bushings in my door hinges and I was thinking about doing the lift off door hinge tech article. To me, it looks like there would be quite a bit of stress on that pin when the hinge is cut and reengineered with only 2 parts instead of a top, middle and bottom. Has anyone ever placed a longer hinge pin going from top through the bottom and added a retaining wire or something to keep the pin from popping out. This would maintain the stability of the hinge and allow for a quick disconnect by pulling the pin out and removing the door. Any thoughts?

nhopman

If you have your doors open and are hanging on them, then yes there is a lot of stress. Once the door is closed there is very little stress on the pins.
or
Check the tech section of broncohio.com there is an article where a removable pin was installed as you described.

Nick

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I made a jig and made it two piece. I used a 3/8 pin and a bronze bushing. The pin is a light press intot he door so it can be driven out for replacement and the bushing is in the door hinge. I made a set of roadster doors so when good weather commes I just take the full doors off and put on the roadster doors.

I thought about using a tractor pin but in order to get a good working door I figured I would hurt my paint getteing them in and out.

There is picture in my gallery.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I got a set of Freeze "lift-off hinges".

I stole rmfreeze's idea.

Drive the pin out, drill out the hinges, tap the bottom part, and put a bolt through it.

At first I didn't think I was going to like them, but...I got a chance to try them out and other than it taking a little longer to get on and off than the other type, they worked great.

Not as easy to take on and off, but just as strong as stock.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I did something similar to what kbldawg is talking about. I knocked out all the pins drilled out the holes to 7/16. I bought 2 7/16th bolts that were just long enough that the shoulder went through both pieces of the hinge and then cut the threads off to a point where they were just long enough to put a nylock nut on. Tack welded the bolt heads to the bottom of the hinges. With this setup you can still take the doors off when you want but when you want them on there is a nut holding them on. And with a nylock you can set the tension on the hinge so the door opens as easily as you want it to. Tighten it down if you want the door to stay put when you open it and not swing all the way open. I have some pics on my home computer if you would like to see them.