• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

in gear cuts off#@$%*@

dash8mx

??? :-XI still have not gotten my 75 302 w/ a b.c. quadrajet to run right. I have messed with
the timing and have it back at about 11 degrees btc. I have searched for a vacuum leak and changed lots of caps and hoses but no luck. i changed all the plugs and plug wires and put a new ignition module box on it.It will idle about 800 in neutral but if i put it in gear it will drop downn in rpm and promptly shut off. Basically in gear at a light and it will cut off if i don't put my foot on the gas.The distributor cap is fine and so are the rotor button, the fuel filter is new , new edelbrock intake manifold and a b.c. q-jet. I am lost and don't know what to throw at it next. Any helpful insight appreciated.

jeev

Loc.
VEGAS BABY!!!!
[quote author=dash8mx link=board=5;threadid=16486;start=0#msg125545 date=1050619113]
??? :-XI still have not gotten my 75 302 w/ a b.c. quadrajet to run right. I have messed with
the timing and have it back at about 11 degrees btc. I have searched for a vacuum leak and changed lots of caps and hoses but no luck. i changed all the plugs and plug wires and put a new ignition module box on it.It will idle about 800 in neutral but if i put it in gear it will drop downn in rpm and promptly shut off. Basically in gear at a light and it will cut off if i don't put my foot on the gas.The distributor cap is fine and so are the rotor button, the fuel filter is new , new edelbrock intake manifold and a b.c. q-jet. I am lost and don't know what to throw at it next. Any helpful insight appreciated.
[/quote]

Did this start to happen after you put the Q-jet on? If so maybe try your last carb and see how it runs? Atleast you will know if it is the carb or not? Just my 2 cents ???

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Have you adjusted the carb idle mixture screws with a vacuum guage hooked up to manifold vacuum. and setting the mixture screws to get the highest steady vacuum reading? and then resetting the idle speed back to 800 RPM I suspect that you have the Idle stop set too low and then adjusting the mixture screws to get what you need to run at 800 rpm. It sounds too lean. If all else fails call Chuck he will make it good.

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

Are the idle mixture screws on the front base of the carb on each side?

justinsane

Loc.
Casper, Wyoming
[quote author=dash8mx link=board=5;threadid=16486;start=0#msg125798 date=1050687027]
Are the idle mixture screws on the front base of the carb on each side?
[/quote]

Not familiar with the Q jet, but that's right on most carbs I've seen. I usually turn them in till they just seat then back them out 1 1/2 turns. Then adjust like rusty_truck said.

Good Luck

Brian

72Sport

Bronco Guru
If you have a stock coil check the voltage on the + side with the ignition on and the engine not running. It should be between 8-9 volts. Start the engine and check it again. If it goes up to 11-11.5 you might have high voltage leaking to the primary side.

This happened to me a couple of days ago. It would die at every signal when the engine was hot. I could not get it to do it at home with the hood open, whatever that means. I put on a new coil and the voltage stays between 8 and 9 volts. No more problem.

Before I changed the coil I had 8.06 at the + side of the coil and 13.42V at the Optima battery with the ignition on and engine NOT runnning. When I started it up I had 11.55v at the coil and 14.61 at the battery. I figured it should not jump 3.5 vollts at the coil and only 1V at the battery unless something was leaking.

4/21 Wasn't the problem or at least all of it. Still quits idling in neutral. Starts right back up.

ca1a73

Bronco Guru
I have an 87 ho in mine. Its ideling up and down, and my voltage meter is voming with the idle, any i deas? only when it is in park, i didn't notice it while in drive. Althought it may be happening in drive also.

OP
OP
D

dash8mx

It will die when i put it in gear , at idle. It will be ideling fine then put it in gear under no load other than in drive or reverse and it will cut off if i don,t tap the gas.Any thoughts

Loc.
Speedwell TN
someone correct me if im wrong but the timing needs to be set at 800 with the truck in drive and the brake on. setting the timing in neutral will result in excessively low rpm under load. so chock the wheels put one the emg brake and reset your rpms with the engine loaded.