• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Install Detroit locker in 9" - Labor cost?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I brought my 9" carrier over to Dallas/Ft. Worth this week to get somebody to put in my detroit locker for me while I am working. That way all I have to do is put the carrier in when I get back home and hopefully make a little more progress during my time off. I called Mike's Offroad at Ft. Worth and they quoted me $425 labor to put in the locker. Does this sound reasonable? They are furnishing no parts, just labor. It sounded high to me, but I haven't paid to have something like this done before.

70_Steve

Old Guy
That sounds high to me. A couple years ago, I got a local differential shop to install my Detroit, and they charged me $350, and that was including a used set of 3.50 gears.

cracker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pueblo, Colorado
If you already have the third member out and they are not providing any parts, that's highway robbery!!! With the third member out it should take them less than 2 hrs. to set up the detroit locker. It took me less than 2 hrs. to setup my ARB and I had to run the air line. Their hourly labor charge must be $200/hr.! Call around for other shops in your area. It seems that just because they have 4X4 in their business name, they seem to get carried away with charges. Any competent shop should be able to set it up for you without robbing you. Good luck..............

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
They must line their tools with gold, then line the gears with gold, and use diamonds to calibrate everything.

I pulled my entire third member out and took it to the guy that set it up for me. He charged me $75 to set it up. Said it took him less than an hour to put it all together. I was expecting to pay more, so he did get a pretty nice tip.. But still, it shouldn't be anywhere NEAR that amount.

Are you sure they didn't misunderstand you and think they would be installing a new (from them) locker or gears? That price sounds like what it would cost to set up a third member with brand new gears and install the locker on top of it.. Then MAYBE it would be worth it, but still seems way too hight.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Yeah that quote sounds more like attorney's fees than mechanic fees. If the rear end is already setup and they are just swapping the Detroit, it should only be an hours worth of work. If they have to re-set the pinion depth (i.e. putting in a new gear set) you're looking at two. Should be no more than $200 and that is still on the high side.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
VERY high, loose 3'rds I only charge 75$ and thats in the bay area!

BroncoWyatt

Sounds high to me . At our shop I would do that job foor less than a $100. Granted I prefer not to install customer provided parts, but there always exceptions.

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
i would give Danny Cloud a call at Dannys Differentials in Tulsa Oklahoma, and see what he would charge. he did my nine and did an awesome job and he also give a warranty on most things. his number is 918-742-7478

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the input.

There was no misunderstanding in what they were charging for. If they were to furnish the locker it would have been over $800. I ask the question. I told them I could buy a complete new rear carrier already setup for $875.

I found a local guy in Decatur Texas that 4X4's and owns his own shop. He is setting it up for me.

msuforeman

Talk to Danny at Jackson Powertrain. They have done alot of work for me in the past and it has all been at good prices. They put my 9" and d44 together w/arbs for 200 per axle. That's also adding all the seals, races and bearings (me supplying them.)

Brian

OP
OP
JWMcCrary

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Brian

I am actually in Texas right now and getting it setup here so I can put it back in when I get home. The local guy here in Decatur is doing it for me ($75 plus the cost of new bearings) I am supposed to pick it up on Tuesday.

He was recommended by several local people.

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills
Good Job for checking this out.. I hate it when us Bronco guys get ripped off.. Just cuz we own a bronco and not a J@@p, they seem to charge more..