• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installed a new Carburetor/High Pitch Whine

WestTexasBronco

After having a new Holly Carburetor installed I now have a high pitch whine coming from the engine. I am going to have it looked at but I thought I would run it by you guys. May be something simple (or terrible) but either way you may know what it is.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My first guess would be a vacuum leak. You might want to make sure all the ports are capped off or none or missing caps. How does it run?
Next guess would just be a belt slipping. or maybe just a bearing going out in the alternator.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Would guess a vacuum leak as well, if there was no whining before the new carb was installed.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
I had a Holley that did that too, but only when I stomped on the gas. When I eased into it it didn't do it. I never figured out what caused it, but when someone asked me what it was, I used to tell them it was my afterburner kicking in.

borg

I just put a new carb on and had the high pitched whine too. Tightening up the 4 mounting nuts with the engine running until the whine went away solved it for me.

Steve

jdamach1

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Like the others said, it is most likely a vacuum leak at the base of the carb. Make sure you are running the correct carb to intake gasket. If you are running a factory 1" aluminum 4V carb spacer, you need two gaskets. One between the carb and spacer and the other between the spacer and intake. I'm at work now, but I can get you the correct Fel-Pro gasket number if you want when I get home. I have had this happen to me a couple of times and have seen it many time working on other Fords.

red71sport

Loc.
Knoxville, Tennessee
This happened to me once, on further inspection, i didn't remove all the old gasket material. There was just enough left to make the highest pitch whistle in the word. It scared the crap out of me. I fired it up and immediately had a full blown sounding fire truck siren in the garage with me! You should have seen how fast the wife ran outside!!