• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing 93 tbird 5.0 motor should I change to exploder front dress?

bflippinw

Gonna be doing a swap with a 93 tbird 5.0. I have complete low mileage motor with harness. Will it be worth it to swap out the front dress for explorer serpentine. How much shorter will it be. I know the tbird alternator is 3G not 4g but I think the tbird alt will suit my needs fine. It's just going to be a street truck, no extra lights, winch or big stereo. Probably not using ac either. So I think the only benefit to explorer parts would be better steering pump and more space for a fan. I will be using a mechanical fan. Should I bother with the explorer parts?

baddad457

The two FEAD's here are nearly one and the same. Both share the same timing cover.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think the '93 t-bird accessory drive is shorter than the '93 and earlier mustang drive. It should be similar to the '94-'95 mustang. That would make it about 3/4" longer than the explorer drive. Already pretty short so fitment shouldn't be a problem.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
I have the Explorer serpentine, but am not impressed with the power steering pump. As a matter of fact, I'm currently working on installing a bracket to install a canned ham saginaw pump. It's going to work, eventually.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Gonna be doing a swap with a 93 tbird 5.0. I have complete low mileage motor with harness. Will it be worth it to swap out the front dress for explorer serpentine. How much shorter will it be. I know the tbird alternator is 3G not 4g but I think the tbird alt will suit my needs fine. It's just going to be a street truck, no extra lights, winch or big stereo. Probably not using ac either. So I think the only benefit to explorer parts would be better steering pump and more space for a fan. I will be using a mechanical fan. Should I bother with the explorer parts?

Pay special attention to either the power steering pump or the a/c compressor (can't remember which it is) and the clearance to stock steering box. I've seen some where there's an interference.

Todd Z.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Explorer allows an easy clutched fan install. Something that isn't as easy with the Mustang dress.