• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing rear end, should I have to force the leaf springs?

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
I had new perches welded on and when installing the rear end I had to push the passenger leaf over a half inch or so to line up with the perch. Is that normal or did the shop weld the perches on at the wrong spot? Also, the u bolts aren't centered in the upper plate the same on the right spring as the left.

Last edited:

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
While it's always possible someone welded a part in the wrong spot It's usually not the case so I would not sweat it. I've had to do the same thing (pushing the leaf spring 1/2") just installing a suspension or set of springs. When it's all bolted up sitting on the ground things should look pretty square. If it looks good you're good to go.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes Having to push the spring in a little for it to line up with the pin is pretty common.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Measure the leaf spring width at the front hangers, center to center. Should be 35 3/4" I believe. Check your perches for the same distance. A little persuading is normal because of the bushings.

Mark

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Measure the leaf spring width at the front hangers, center to center. Should be 35 3/4" I believe. Check your perches for the same distance. A little persuading is normal because of the bushings.

Mark

What if they were welded on Friday;D

OP
OP
MyOriginal66

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. I installed them over a month ago but haven't got back at it. I think I just had nothing else to worry about%)

I'll measure and see.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I've learned to check the perch location before sending the housing to powdercoat. My housing must have been jigged up on a Friday.

Mark

Excellent point. Anything going to paint or powdercoat should be completely installed so any changes can be made before coating. It takes a little more time but if you find an issue it ends up being less time and $.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've even had to push stock, original springs over to get them to realign with stock perches. So like the others have said, not a big thing.
This was even with original bushings.

What do you mean about the u-bolts not being aligned the same on one side as the other?
Got pics?

paul