• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

instument Voltage Regulator Question

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I had a similar problem on my current EB where all the gauges read low (guessing 80%). i ran a ground wire from the cluster to the body and they read a little higher around 90%. Back in the seventies my EB had the same problem and a budy of mine (aka engineer/guru/swami... thanks Paul) wired in a resister across the two terminals and they worked perfectly. Unfortunately, he has since passed away, and I do not know what he used.

Calling all engineers/gurus/swami's !

chuzie

Bronco Guru
You can make your own solid state IVR that produces 5.98v using a voltage regulator, a heat sink and two capacitors. Costs about $5 and takes 10 minutes.

rae61

I was able to adjust the small inset last night. I turned the screw half a turn clockwise and the voltage is now 5.99 volts. The gauges seem close enough for now. I cannot express how much i appreciate the help Paul.
I just installed the electronic IVR From Wild Horses, I am getting 5.53v which seems right on the money according to Paul's testing of the four units.

My oil gauge is reading high, about 85psi, was ~70 prior.

Was the IVR you adjusted the Electronic one, can the Electronic ones be adjusted?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well here's another good example of why it's hard to diagnose things on EB's sometimes!
Check the connector side of your IVR rae, and if you see a tiny little "pot" there, you might be able to turn it to get a different reading. But first, did you change anything else at the same time as the IVR itself? No new sending units or other components in other words?

lsukevinc, did you happen to get a pic of what you were doing while you were doing it? What type of tool did you use?

Thanks

Paul

rae61

Well here's another good example of why it's hard to diagnose things on EB's sometimes!
Check the connector side of your IVR rae, and if you see a tiny little "pot" there, you might be able to turn it to get a different reading. But first, did you change anything else at the same time as the IVR itself? No new sending units or other components in other words?

lsukevinc, did you happen to get a pic of what you were doing while you were doing it? What type of tool did you use?

Thanks

Paul

Paul no changes to the gauges, but that is a good point. I read on here somewhere that some times if the gauges are "pegged out" for a while it takes a little time for them to return to normal, so I will give it a few days.

I will look for the pot and see if it is adjustable, I know on the factory one I took out that there is a small round stem that has flat spots on both side like it is meant for turning.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a good point. While waiting, you might even want to send a PM to fallingdown here to see what he says about that process. That's the Classy Chassis Restorations that's doing so many of the cluster refurbs for members here.

If they are not going to self-correct, maybe they can be adjusted/re-calibrated fairly easily?

And yes, that little stem was the visible bit of the dashpot that set the output and could be adjusted with a pair of pliers. Or by someone with small fingers with GI Joe's Kung-Fu Grip.

Kevin was able to do it, but I don't know what tools he needed to do it.
Most devices of this type will be factory set, then they would have put a dab of lacquer or similar compound to lock it in place from vibration and pesky PO's fiddling with it. I had some on my original, and though I saw something that looked similar on the electronic ones, it did not encompass the "knob" so doubt it will cause any trouble when you try to turn it.

Good luck. And definitely let us know what your results are either way.

Paul