• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intake manifold bolt kit

vtboy51

I just got a new edelbrock intake from WH and realized it doesn't come with new bolts. What bolt kit do I need , is this something I can get locally?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I just bought bolts from the hardware store last time.. I bought an arp kit back when I built the 66 and 1/2 the bolts didn't fit for a bronco.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
In the building ford engines manual it sAys torgu forst time to 20. Then 24 on 2nd and then final is 26. Im unsure about the first two but third is correct. Of course that is for a 351 thiugh

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
In the building ford engines manual it sAys torgu forst time to 20. Then 24 on 2nd and then final is 26. Im unsure about the first two but third is correct. Of course that is for a 351 thiugh

Your book is recommending the torque for a stock iron intake. Edelbrock recommends a lower torque for theirs.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Know that black oxide that some socket head cap screws (AKA "Allen Heads") and some ARP bolts come coated with eventually rusts. Paint them with something good. Stainless hex heads are effectively SAE Grade 2 in strength. The only non-rusting bolts are going to be the expensive stainless bolts from ARP.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I bought the ARP bolts for my edelbrock .

Attachments

• DSCN0575.jpg
    DSCN0575.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN0568.jpg
    DSCN0568.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0567.jpg
    DSCN0567.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 24

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Considering the condition of most of the bolts that come out of a 100K motor, I tend to run the ARP 6-point bolts that I can purchase from Summit. Use anti seize and TQ them to the appropriate number.

SteveL has a valid point... make sure they are the appropriate length and make good contact into the head. Take it from someone who pulled the 1st few threads out of an aluminum head trying to reach TQ spec's.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I went to the hardware store and got some grade 5 bolts and washers - torque the intake like 6 times after a few heat cycles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, nothing exotic. If you do go with the WH set, I thought we only had full engine sets and not the intake only set? Maybe I missed that memo (again!) if we have them.
The only difference in our sets is the type of head and what type of valve cover used. If you have aluminum valve covers you use the "cast" bolt kit which has longer valve cover bolts.
The head style is up to you. Some like the indented look (I do) which is more similar to the factory original stuff, but others prefer the flat top hex bolts so they don't collect stuff.
But the sizes and strengths remain the same.

As said, intake bolts can be had locally usually. If you don't have your original bolts to use, someone here will have one apart I'm sure and can get you the lengths. Hopefully. But the diameter is probably 5/16" or such. But wait for confirmation!
And definitely go by Edelbrock's torque specs. Probably available on their website I would hope.

Good luck.

Paul