• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

intake manifold ???

andy

Loc.
Charleston
plannning on installing an origional 4bbl intake this afternoon. was cleaning it up and found 2 small rust holes in some sort of pan thing in the center underside of the manifold! is this a problem? from what i can see (and that is not much) doesnt look like anything goes there (but then i ask myself if nothing goes there why is that there) any hints or solutions?

also in what sequence do you fasten the bolts?

andy

BUCKETOBOLTS

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Salisbury, NC
I'd either try to remove it or just slap it on. I wouldn't worry with the JB. I run a cast iron 289 manifold on my '72 302 also. Works really well with the Melling RV cam and Holley 600.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
andy said:
plannning on installing an origional 4bbl intake this afternoon. was cleaning it up and found 2 small rust holes in some sort of pan thing in the center underside of the manifold! is this a problem? from what i can see (and that is not much) doesnt look like anything goes there (but then i ask myself if nothing goes there why is that there) any hints or solutions?

also in what sequence do you fasten the bolts?

andy

You can get another one from most any small block intake. 2bl or 4bl 302 or 351 intake. It is on there to keep the exhaust crossover in the intake from heating the oil that splashes on it. The small block rebuild book says it will "burn" more oil without the baffle. Aluminum aftermarket intakes don't use them. Someone must not be telling the truth!??!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Id just wire brush it so no rust falls into the motor & run it as is. Theres none on my Edelbrock so it cant be that important

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Sorry but that heat shield is very important ! I had a severly gunked up 289 . I pulled the cast iron intake off .... that shield was missing & the entire lifter galley was one solid mass of burnt oil . In fact it had contaminated the entire engine . As stated , any shield off a 2bbl or 4 bbl manifold will fit .

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Maybe the aluminum gives off the heat better & cools faster or something. The Edelbrock has been on mine over 10 years and its spotless inside the valley of the motor. Of course Im a 2000 mile oil change guy in summer and 1000 in winter too. Beats me, but I wouldnt worry about a little hole in the shield. If you can find one then change it, otherwise run it.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
I pulled the cast iron intake off .... that shield was missing & the entire lifter galley was one solid mass of burnt oil

I've seen gunked up engine with and without that sheild, so I'm not sure that was your problem!
Ben

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Just FYI>>> The stock 85 Mustang GT aluminum intake manifold I just put on my Bronco has the same heat shield. The Edelbrock on my 68 Cougar doesn't. Figure?

Ford wouldn't spend the $$$$ unless it helped. I would clean up the rust and mig weld the holes or find a replacement shield.

Good luck!
Mikey

okorangebrnco

Bronco Guru
my C90X Ford intake has the sheild and i left it on there since Ford put it on there and its an over the counter racing intake, i left it well alone and its awesome.. better than the edelbrock performer that i had!