• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

302 low rise intake manifold recommendation for hood clearance

Bustedbroc

Contributor
1974 EB, stock 302 with a Edelbrock F4B intake and Holley 8150 (600 cfm) 4 barrel. No headers, just duals and glass pack. Going thru this truck I see the intake manifold gaskets is leaking oil up front. Since I am replacing the gaskets I would like a recommendation for a inexpensive "low" rise manifold to pick up some air cleaner to hood clearance. I don't think the old F4B is considered low rise. I am just looking for a low rise that works properly. This is not a performance engine but I would like to retain the 4 barrel. Thanks in advance.
P.S., I do see what I am guessing as chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Any experience with these?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, Chinese knock off is the only way you’re gonna get what you might consider a reasonable price. Everything else was already expensive, and has just gone up in the last four years.
Edelbrock Performer is pretty low, as is the Weiand Stealth. Don’t know anything about any of the knock offs.
Most of the manufacturers used to list their carburetor surface height. Maybe they still do?
Worth looking for comparisons.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also, don’t neglect looking at all of your body mount insulators closely.
They should all be a full three-quarters of an inch tall.
If they are the original rubber, double check their height because there’s a good chance they have sagged.
In which case, even replacing them with new stock height ones would be an improvement.
Getting some with 1 inch body lift built-in is just that much better for clearance.

Lawndart

Loc.
If you don't want Chinesuim, get an old 4V FoMoCo intake (may cost a bit).
Preferably from the 60s, so no need to "F" with EGR or other BS.

hunter1

Contributor
Loc.
Maryville, Tn
If you don't want Chinesuim, get an old 4V FoMoCo intake (may cost a bit).
Preferably from the 60s, so no need to "F" with EGR or other BS.
I have a 69 4-barrel cast iron intake that sits as low as the Edelbrock. I see those some time on FB Marketplace at a reasonable price.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Ford makes those low profile intakes for the 351w
That guys use to get it under a stock hood. I would think there's an equivalent for the 302.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I plan to get the cast iron 4 bbl intake, and once I find a unmolested 1.08 venturi 4100, I'll be getting one of those too. I'm not concerned about the weight of the cast iron intake, heck I'm going to be using cast iron GT40 heads anyway. It ain't going in a "traditional" street rod. And the 4100... I'll find one in decent condition for a reasonable price with some looking, and after rebuilding it, I still won't be out as much as the 470 cfm Truck Avenger, which, they say is the next best contender for our Broncos.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You shouldn't have any hood clearance issues with a 302. I swapped so many 2bbl for 4 bbl manifolds and carbs back in the '70's and '80's you won't have issues. You will have stock bell crank throttle linkage issues possibly. I remember getting rid of that on several. Drop filters, 2" air filter x 14" flows enough for 600 hp.

Expensive? What isn't now. Supply and demand issues seemed to double everything. Look at swap meets, marketplace, keep reaching out. Performer, OFFY 360 dual port, Weind, (used all of these on EB's) lots of low profile alum manifolds will fit.

Keep the 4 bbl manifold with the right carb. With a good carb you'll increase your mpg, you'll increase your throttle response. You have to drive the same but mpg will increase as efficiency will increase with the proper combo. BTDT for decades.

OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Thanks all. I guess I won't know if the F4B is a low/mid/high rise until I take it off and measure it. Truck runs great with it so unless I can pick up some clearance by replacing it I will just put it back on with the new gaskets. I see some manifolds state they require thicker valve cover gaskets so the stock sheet metal valve covers clear the runners. FM

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I do have a drop base filter on my FiTech, but had to print a spacer to lift if high enough to clear the fuel inlet on the TBI. It still cleared the hood... barely.

Attachments

• IMG_5391.JPG
    IMG_5391.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Bustedbroc

Bustedbroc

Contributor
Thanks all. I guess I won't know if the F4B is a low/mid/high rise until I take it off and measure it. Truck runs great with it so unless I can pick up some clearance by replacing it I will just put it back on with the new gaskets. I see some manifolds state they require thicker valve cover gaskets so the stock sheet metal valve covers clear the runners. FM
Update, intake is off and measured. Per Edelbrock instructions: https://www.edelbrock.com/intake-ab-measurements, carb base measures 5" high. Looks like I can pick up a manifold that measures as low as 4.2" to 4.5". It also seems these F4B Edelbrock manifolds are popular with the vintage Mustang crowd. Cleaning it up and off to Ebay to re-coop some cash! Thanks all for your input!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i looked phx craigslist, admittedly, no 302/5.0, but many 351 intakes.