• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Intermittent Loss of Power Steering.....

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
I was wheeling this past weekend and I lost power steering off and on, especially when at low RPM. The guys I was with thought it was probably the belt slipping. Is this common? It seems to be just about back to normal now.

What can I do to prevent this? How do you tighten the PS belt?

Chris

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
Are you locked up front? When my locker is on in the front the stock PS pump can't keep up, and I have to wrestle the wheel. The belt is simple to check, and adjust if necessary. Just grab it (engine off) and try twisting it. You shouldn't be able to go more than about 1/4 turn without really getting after it. If you can twist it around easily, loosen the bracket bolts, pry with a prybar (not directly on the pump) until the belt is tight. When the belt is tight, tighten bolts back up.

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
If you are using the original Thompson pump your best bet is to up grade to a Saginaw unit.
Or you could try a smaller pulley on the pump if you are sure the pump is putting out properly. A 1/4 to a 1/2" smaller pulley will keep the rpms up on the pump and keep it in its pressure band.

zeeman1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle
I'll second that, I'm looking at upgrading myself. Luckily I've got an ARB so I can turn it off when I really need the steering.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
I run a detroit front and rear, I have this problem bad!!!! I need to upgrade pump ASAP. What I do is blip the throttle to get more PS pressure, but as you can imagine that can be hairy if in tight quarters on a difficult obstacle.

What I really need to do is a complete PS overhaul: Saginaw pumb, HD tie rod over, and ram assist. Might be a little easier turning the 37's on the rocks. Now if I can just find the money, I can get er done!!!