• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ipod only music install

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Most radio stations suck and I listen to my Ipod almost exclusively. I thinking of not installing a radio at all in the bronco I'm building now and wondered if any of you guys had see of or know of a way to have speakers and a small amp all controlled by an Ipod?

tmacstickman

Constantly changing stations is always a bummer. There are several cd palyers out there that have the input for ipod or other MP3 players. Kenwood has some nice ones.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Youd still need some sort of receiver to take the aux signal from the ipod and tranlate that into music.
edit: BG is right - you can run RCAs directly to an amp - disregard my comment.

I think you're better off buying a $100 receiver and installing that in your dash. Get one that has ipod connectivity and itll charge your ipod too. Look for one with USB or SD card capability too.

Last edited:

fordtrucksrule

i looked into this as will i think you can get like a 100 watt amp and use the the volume control and just plug your i pod into the input on the amp thats what im going to try soon to see if it will work

BG's 68 Bronco

just buy a cheap amp that you can hook the ipod up to. No need for a head unit. Just need a RCA cable that you would plug into you headphones jack or the ipod line out connection and into the right left jacks on the amp.
anything like these will work.. http://www.audiophileproducts.com/iplo1

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
you can just hook the ipod straight into an amp. That is exactly what i plan on doing. all you need is an amp and the ipod plug which you can get from radio shack. With that volume everything will be controlled through your ipod though.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
just buy a cheap amp that you can hook the ipod up to. No need for a head unit. Just need a RCA cable that you would plug into you headphones jack or the ipod line out connection and into the right left jacks on the amp.
anything like these will work.. http://www.audiophileproducts.com/iplo1

That's what I'm looking to do. I don't have a hole in the dash and am trying to eliminate clutter and wiring that I don't need. Thought about trying to mount a head unit with remote control in the glove box. If I end up needing to by an special amp, and special cables it maybe 6 of one to just as easy to buy a cheap head unit and plug the Ipod into it. Gotta do more research.

croft75

I'm building a speaker box under the back seat , putting speakers and a small amp there and running it with my Ipod. A local stereo shop had all the stuff. Not all do most said it wasn't possible but it is.

OP
OP
phred

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I'm building a speaker box under the back seat , putting speakers and a small amp there and running it with my Ipod. A local stereo shop had all the stuff. Not all do most said it wasn't possible but it is.

can you take some pic and give a list of materials. I would really like to avoid having to by a head unit I'll never use for anything but as an aux jack.:D

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
The one that I am using is an alpine unit from crutchfield It was only $149. It has no CD unit in it, it is made for Ipod and Satellite radio only it works great and is smaller too. The Ipod controls are built in and it charges it too. I just paid an extra $50 for the satellite radio. Boom Done this is definatly the way u should go.

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Or you can get a new digital media head unit. No cd or tape and most of them have a built in iPod connection and interface. I saw one at BestBuy that even docks the iPod INSIDE the head unit. Pretty cool.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
thinking you will need an equalizer, dont know what controls you have from the ipod to eq. so the head unit is really worth the money i think. i really like just making a cd and playing in a head unit that reads mp3s., but back to the player look on crutchfield, and even call them they will give you free advice on what you are trying to do.

jetsg4

Loc.
Baton Rouge
thinking you will need an equalizer, dont know what controls you have from the ipod to eq. so the head unit is really worth the money i think. i really like just making a cd and playing in a head unit that reads mp3s., but back to the player look on crutchfield, and even call them they will give you free advice on what you are trying to do.

ipod has an eq