• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is anyone else having this problem with the auto part stores?

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I own a 1977 Ford Bronco (small version). I go to Murray's Auto Part Store and ask for parts for my small Bronco and all they come up with is parts for the full size Bronco. They aren't aways the same parts. Right now, my Bronco needs u-joints for the drive shafts front and back. I called another store and I get the same response "they only have parts for the full size Bronco). Will the full size Bronco u-joints work on my smaller version Bronco? Tell me about your auto part headache. ;D

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
I own a 1977 Ford Bronco (small version). I go to Murray's Auto Part Store and ask for parts for my small Bronco and all they come up with is parts for the full size Bronco. They aren't aways the same parts. Right now, my Bronco needs u-joints for the drive shafts front and back. I called another store and I get the same response "they only have parts for the full size Bronco). Will the full size Bronco u-joints work on my smaller version Bronco? Tell me about your auto part headache. ;D

I worked at NAPA for six years, and at a dealership for four while I finished college. Today's parts people chap my hide...!

Look the parts up yourself on the parts store's website, and just give 'em the numbers to check. OR get smarter than their computers, and tell 'em your Bronco is a '75 or '76 (further away from the body change in '78).

I needed a simple air cleaner gasket last week; when I told the dork at AutoBone it was a Bronco, he had to order it. When I told him it was a '72 F-100, he found it in stock. It's the same gasket, but whatever...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 but really there was no big or small bronco in 77 just our orginal bronco so let them type pick what ever they want as it will be the only thing that comes up. Worst case bring a part with you to compare.

OP
OP
Evian

Evian

Loc.
Algonquin/IL
I thought that Ford made both (full size and small size) that year.. Thanks for the information! I can now rest a little easier knowing that the Full size didn't come out until 78. Chances are they have the correct u-joints for my Bronco. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeett.....

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
People that work at parts stores are not as old as a Early Bronco

Parts Books do not go that far back any more

These vehicles are considered OBSOLETE, that' s why we have Vendor's with parts available.

Long story short - Do Your Homework, and you will know if you are getting the right parts

late 80's - early 90's ' I did my homwork on parts , well, between jobs when I went to the Ford Dealer to answer a parts job opening , 'they told me I did not have 2 years experence,(I did not get the job) the next week I would go in and order parts with a part number (for a truck or van) and they would look at me when I told them it was for an Early Bronco.

Do Your Homework, the part is there they just do not know it

treihesse

Bronco Guru
my local ass clowns show my 75 as a full size.. It even gives a 351 engine option. Now I have had 4 Broncos and to my knowledge our trucks never came with a 351 but you try and explain that to them. OH MY GOD it's like talking to a 3yr old.

Chuck77

Loc.
El Paso
Because I've been doing this Army thing for 20yrs now I move around more than the average guy. Every 2-3 years I move to another town in another state and search until I find a couple of auto part stores with a guy that knows how to look up and cross reference parts. The best places usually have parts books near the counter and take the time to flip pages and compare things. I do use the vendors, but for that little thing I need today I support the competent local parts store and make nice with them.

cody72sport

i really hate that they are so damn lazy at autozone that the will not go and check if they have something on the shelf. all they want to do is sit at the computer. the new autozone in town is still really slow so they let me go into the parts area and look at everything for myself :)

ElkhartBronco

Loc.
Cedar Bluff
I was recently looking for parts to work on the rear end... so I called AutoBone and asked about a ring and pinion set..... the employee on the other end kept trying to tell me all she could find was a rack and pinion...........once I explained exactly what I was looking for, she promptly said they don't carry those kinds of parts and it'd have to be ordered. I swear I will never spend another penny with that store chain again.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was recently looking for parts to work on the rear end... so I called AutoBone and asked about a ring and pinion set..... the employee on the other end kept trying to tell me all she could find was a rack and pinion...........once I explained exactly what I was looking for, she promptly said they don't carry those kinds of parts and it'd have to be ordered. I swear I will never spend another penny with that store chain again.

You do realize that, counter help knowledge aside, virtually none of the auto parts stores actualy carry ring and pinion gear sets or the installation kits for them..don't you? They ALL would have to order both in. The days yr lucky to even find the wheel bearings and seals for the earlier small-bearing 9" in stock. And try to find a set of the early rear brake shoes even...%)

Back in the early 80s when I worked for a large non-chain auto parts place (I was a machinist in 'back' but also workd the counter when necessary) we actually carried some of the more common internal engine pats in stock. Today..virtually nobody does. And even then, we never kept gear sets in stock.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I go to Napa. It may be the person behind the counter but this guy is always helpful.

X2 on Napa.

You can go to their web site, look things up, and then it lets you print out a shopping list to take to the store with all the numbers. It makes life easier for the guys at the store, and you can make sure you're getting the right items. (You just want to be really careful when doing this -- ordering the wrong part will be your fault.)

As a bonus, I find that their parts are a notch above places like AutoZone, Pep Boys, CSK/O'Reillys, etc. A lot of repair shops source their parts from Napa, and I think they prefer higher-grade belts, hoses, etc. to avoid fitment and premature failure issues.

Second bonus! It might be regional, but the Napa stores around here give a AAA member discount, so you end up essentially getting the "web" price at the store without having to pay shipping.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
x3 on Napa. In my area, the two Napa stores are about the only parts places left that have any semblance of counter skills..and they carry good quality parts. Every single one of the non-chain 'mom and pop' stores went out of business around here over the last ten years as the Autozones and Advances moved in.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X4 on NAPA and X2 on parts stores not having certain parts especailly inner axle parts. I recently got new bearings seals and shims for my rear axle from NAPA and they didnt carry them on the shelf either but they were in the next day. Which autozone will usualy do as well.
Parts stores will carry the most common parts for the most common vehicles clutches, wheel bearings, seals, water pumps ect. They cant have every part for every vehicle on there shelf. Sure back in the 70's when our broncos were new they may have had most parts because every other ford used the same parts.
You got to find the person in each store that knows what they are doing. It doesnt take long to figure out who that person is.

getfuzzy

I guess I'm One of the lucky ones. My Son works at a local Parts store here in town. He went to UTI and worked at a Jag dealed then at Mazda and at the parts store part time. Now he's at the parts store full time, he likes helping people get the wright parts. He and the other counter guy's are gear heads and will help find what you need. Oh and yes my son drives a Bronco It's a II but it's lifted with 33's with 4.56s. I just gave him my dana 30 and 9" so he can replace his IFS.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Finding a parts store: Go to your trusted mechanic or the independant mechanic who has lots of cars being worked on out front, go in and ask who they use for parts.

Finding a mechanic: Go into your trusted parts store and ask who they would let work on their car or truck.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
There was only one bronco available in 77, no big or small. Parts people don't know better so just tell them bronco. I get the same response all the time with the younger generation, they'll just type in a search on the puter and the part number will come up.
One time I ask for Ford Bronco parts and the response I get is, " Is this a Chevy?"

sandguy356

Loc.
Holland, MI
Finding a parts store: Go to your trusted mechanic or the independant mechanic who has lots of cars being worked on out front, go in and ask who they use for parts.

Finding a mechanic: Go into your trusted parts store and ask who they would let work on their car or truck.

That is great advice, people always have good things to say about people they trust, and will steer you away from people they don't.
I'm a NAPA guy myself, but when it comes down to it I look up the part #'s so I can explain what I need if I have to.

Cip68

Loc.
Harleysville
I went into a chain store one time to get an oil pan gasket for the most common engine in the world, a chevy sb 350. I was then asked, automatic? air conditioning? power steering? WTF. I told the guy it was red, because that had just about the same amount of relivence as the other questions he asked.

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
I went into a chain store one time to get an oil pan gasket for the most common engine in the world, a chevy sb 350. I was then asked, automatic? air conditioning? power steering? WTF. I told the guy it was red, because that had just about the same amount of relivence as the other questions he asked.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily blame the employee for the irrelevant questions. It may have been that the software they use made him put all that stuff in before it would find the part. In some cases (though probably not with an oil pan) there are different engine parts for an automatic vs. manual, etc.