• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

is anyone running explorer 5.0 electronics??? I have a Q for U

expobronc

Is the transmission controlled by the same computer as the engine? what will happen when the transmission is not connected? how could i get around this???

TIA
Jason

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Most people run a Mustang ECM instead because the Explorer one is tied into several systems (Not just the tranny and engine). It even has a sensor in the gas tank. While someone might have worked out how to bypass all of these systems I would kind of doubt it.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
A Tweecer (www.tweecer.com) is compatible with the Exploder 5.0 ECU and can be used to turn off at least some extraneous stuff. I'm no auto tranny expert, but a Baumanator standalone tranny computer can be used to control a 4R70W. Broncobowsher on this board has one.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you do it yourself, a TwEECer is about your only hope. Go in and set the trans type to "0".
But you will have much bigger issues with the other stuff. You can usually turn off the rear O2's. that way you only need 2 instead of 4 oxygen sensors. Then depending on the year of the Explorer, you may have a variable voltage drive to run the variable speed impeler style fuel pump on a non-return fuel system
Then there is all the fuel tank stuff. Canister purge, pressure sensors, fuel tank level, fuel temp. IF the computer sees the fuel gauge not hooked up, the check engine light will come on. So to make it work right you need 2 sending units in the gas tank. One for your gauge, another to satisfy the computer. Some years even pull 14 or 17" of vacuum on the entire fuel system. Then don't forget that the computer pulls vehicle speed out of the data bus system, where it is generated by the ABS system. Forget to swap in the ABS, no VSS and check engine light on. You can stick a VSS in your transfer case but you still have no place to plugh it in the computer.

Like mentioned before, the easiest way to get it running without issues is a mustang computer and wiring.

If you want to run the wonderful 4R70W without the engine computer, then use a Baumantor.

OP
OP
E

expobronc

awesome help! and i think i got talked out of it. Its a 98 system with the return-less fuel system. sounds like a PITA. Ill have to spend some time looking for an older eec system :) Thanks again guys!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It does have a lot of great parts, just not the eletronics.
The returnless fuel rail can be converted using an MSD-2222 fuel pressure regulator. But still need to change the injectors to the mustang sized 19s for the mustang computer.
Intake is a non-egr version of the GT40/cobra
Has a factory 65mm throttle body (mustang is only 60mm)