• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is anyone running with the water/gas kits?

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Are there any of you guys who are using the "water for fuel" kits. If so how easy was it to build and how good are the actual results?

For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about, there are homemade or all ready made kits that allow you to convert distilled water into HHO/hydrogen hydroxysomethingorother from the H20 and then this gas is introduced into the fuel/air system via a "T" in one of the vacuum lines. The vehicle burns the HHO and fuel mixture and increases your fuel mileage by like 25-60%(or so they say) depending on what kind of vehicle it is installed in. It is also supposed to clean the carbon out of your engine, make the engine cooler and smoother and give a little torque boost as well and they say that the only byproduct of the HHO once burned is water, therefore being better for the environment.

I'm am very interested in getting some feedback from anyone who has installed one of the systems and/or seen one of them. You cab google search "HHO car kits" and look into it yourselves.

bcrump5252

Loc.
high point
I saw a vid on utube about that where fox news got a group of experts together mechanics, engniers, and people like that. they all said it couldnt be done mostly because you A. could not buy all of the parts needed to complete the project. I forget the name ofthe part, but it is a specific part needed to convert the hydrogen to water that you could not buy. wish it was possible

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
Without seeing the results, the story I was told about an injected vehicle went like this.

The HH0 gas changes the chemical makeup of the exhaust, raising it's 02 level. This makes the computer think the engine is lean, causing it to richen the mixture. The end result is a drop in fuel economy.

OP
OP
Smokeater11

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
Yeah, I have been doing more research on these kits and have read the thread that Devin posted and I'm still not convinced one way or the other. The biggest concern I have has to do with the O2 sensor. Some say you can install some sort of module to counteract the O2 changes but I don't think I want to go messing with the computer system on my truck.... But I am still looking around at different material on the web to see what I can find, but it is looking more and more like it is one of those too good to be true scenarios. I still think it might work on a naturally aspirated engine if you could pipe the gas right into the top of the carb, below the filter and then adjust the carb mixture manually from there, but I don't know.........thanks guys and feel free to add your thought.

Roadburner

I know for a fact that it works on a carbed engine. A guy I work with built one and has it on his old chevy 4x4 truck. He has picked up around 4-5 mpg. I didn't believe it at first but it does work. Very simple to build and uses dist water and baking soda. He has 4 cells on his truck and is going to add 2 more. Lots of stuff on utube about it, check out hho. I'm going to try it on my 77 after I get some other projects finished.

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
where fox news got a group of experts together

Theres a totally believable media empire that we should all trust blindly!!!!%)

The deal with the O2 sensor is: Having the extra gas(hho) injected into the motor does increase the amount of fuel which is present, when the computer realizes this(through the O2 signal) it leans out the amount of gasoline or diesel being injected. hence better mileage.

That is the theory. NO I have not used it!!

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
A guy came by here the other day with a home made system on his diesel van. He wants me to get involved. Says he has 7 in service now and they all get double the milage. I told him he would have to prove that and he said he would come back with his new model and install it on my EB. I'll let you know how that works out.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I had a guy hit me up with a flyer the other day, said he was getting 35 mpg out of an 02 4wd Ranger. Said his system installed was about $500. He is selling them out of Ridgway, Colorado, and had drove to Telluride on 1 gallon gas. I am actually contemplating going in halfs with a friend of mine to try out a system. If I do, I'll let you know how it works.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll let you know how that works out.

Thanks for putting this one through some tests...I think a bronco, thirsty as it is, should readily show results if there are any. Definately keep us posted!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
For most of us, 2-4 MPG is 20-40%...thats alot of savings, IF it works. There are so many folks claiming good results, that I am inclined to believe it...but being a cynic/skeptic, "until I can probe the wounds with my own hands..." its hard to believe. I hope its real, I am sure I can build one.

tasthree

Loc.
western NC
First off do your reasearch.I'v been looking into this hard for weeks now.It is to complicated for me to type out.Its like anything else.There are better ways of doing something then there are the half ass ways of doing something.The half ass ways are the ones that are creating the controversies.The best pre made system for the mony I feel is out there is at Hydroreactors but there seems to be some growing pains or something with those people.To get a better idea on the subject google OUPower.com,Fuel-saver.org,H2earth.org,eagle research,Tero cell,Smacks booster,Stanley Meyer,Bob Boyce,and look in some of the yahoo tech groups.Read read read is all I can say.I ordered a Hydro blox from Hydroreactors for $50 before they increased their intro price last friday to try it out.I have also been collecting parts to build a type of brute forced flat plate series cell.Untill I try something I'm not going to knock it down.But thats not to say that just because a gay guy says it feels good means I need to try it.To each his own.To many people want to cry snake oil with out researching it or trying it properly.I'm gonna give it a try.The hydroxy that is .Them gay fellas can keep some of that to themselves.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I think most of us are jaded by the volume of crap we see every day. Sort of like the guy standing on the off ramp with the sign "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" we would like to help but know that most of them wouldn't work for union wages. But still think maybe this guy really does just need a little help. It's a hard call.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I dont doubt that they are producing some amount of a volatile gas that is combustible. IF anyones done any resarch on electolysis for rust removal; most tech-info on that process tells you to make sure you do it in a ventilated area...and that definitely works for removing rust from steel/iron...producing hydrogen and a waste sludge (non-toxic) that looks bad. Knowing this, my biggest concern is the long-term life cycle of these electrolysis systems for producing HHO (brown's gas, whatever). Typically, there are sacrificial components in an electrolysis system...while I have seen lots of "demonstration videos" I havent heard anyone commenting on the guts of the system...what the lifespan of a unit is, does it need to be serviced or cleaned, whether it can be 're-built', etc. Some of the retailed setups are going for $1-1.2K. Thats pretty spendy (about 1000 gallons= 10K miles). A basic system does not seem very complicated, so it would seem... something to tinker with this winter maybe. Not sure I would want one installed while wheeling, however...water in the intake would make for a bad day far from home.

texaswildcat98

Loc.
Wichita, KS
I think its great that some of you all are looking into this, I have my doubts and really just see this as a way to bilk people out of money.

For the last 6 weeks plus, I have been watching my mileage and fuel consumption. I drive a 04 F150 supercrew, which honestly I love but is kind of a gas hog. If I do my normal daily driving, which is usually 5+ MPH over the speedlimit and never wanting to get stuck in the right lane, I average about 13.5 mpg. If I pull my foot out of the intake, drive the speed limit, ease into my acceleration, I average 14.8 mpg which is a 13% increase in mileage. But I average almost 18% improved mileage out on the interstate...

So I've learned to poke holes into my own research to make it better...

first my data is limited... 7 fill ups
Second my data is over to short of a time span... Doesn't account for temperature changes, traffic, whether I drive across the plant once that week or everyday (short runs where you idle more than drive)
18% is huge, most people if they just slowed down and became conscience of what they are doing would improve their mileage.

Big one; most of us don't meet our suggested mpg by the dealer because that was based at 55 on the highway... Not a realistic number because we don't drive 55, at least not me...

I'm sure I'm missing things here I could improve on regarding my research into what makes my truck drive better. Personnally my Bronco could probably make a huge jump if I would adjust the carb better!!!

I guess I would be a little more open to this tech if a reputable institution was backing it... instead of some guy ( from the website selling this stuff ) for all we know might have bought his degree online...

I'm probably biased, but i'm open to being wrong. I'm glad someone is looking into this though and I look forward to the results!!!

CDHUNTER

Loc.
Franklin, KY
A guy came by here the other day with a home made system on his diesel van. He wants me to get involved. Says he has 7 in service now and they all get double the milage. I told him he would have to prove that and he said he would come back with his new model and install it on my EB. I'll let you know how that works out.

Now here is an opinion I'll trust. Let us know how it comes out. I'm eager to hear the results.