• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is someone trying to kill me? Just kidding but I need help with steering

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
All,

Some of you may know that I got my EB out of a barn that has been sitting for some time and the PO's must have tried to piece this great classic together with tape and zip ties. I noticed a bolt was just sitting in the hole that connects a rod for my steering with no nut on the end of it. Can someone please tell me what goes in this hole and what it actually is?

http://classicbroncos.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/28882

Thanks,

Vet

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
That's your upper track bar mount, and YES you need that. It locates your axle squarely under the front end. DO NOT DRIVE that untill you get it fixed. The hole also looks a little bit 'egged out'.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Its a track bar. You need to put the correct nut and bolt in there and tighten it down. The bar stabilizes the front axle from moving side to side. No slop is a good thing in this case.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Trac bar, one of the main casues of death wobble. The hole is oblonged out and looks like its cracked at frame, Id check all around it for cracks and is it welded to the frame or just bolted?

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Its a track bar. You need to put the correct nut and bolt in there and tighten it down. The bar stabilizes the front axle from moving side to side. No slop is a good thing in this case.

Will just any nut and bold do the trick or is there a special size?

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Trac bar, one of the main casues of death wobble. The hole is oblonged out and looks like its cracked at frame, Id check all around it for cracks and is it welded to the frame or just bolted?

It's bolted and welded to frame. I didn't see any cracks.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Will just any nut and bold do the trick or is there a special size?

ford uses a hardened fine thread bolt with a castellated nut and cotter pin. I suppose a hardened bolt with a locking nut would be fine.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I know it's overkill on some things, but I buy all my hardware at a Tractor Supply store. I use grade eight's for everything. They sell them by the pound instead of individually. Keeps me from searching thru the bolt bin everytime I need one.

acmefl

Loc.
Florida
And as long as your down there, I was able to get a set of new bushings for the trac bar at my local NAPA store for less than $20. Go ahead a replace them if you have any doubts.
Aaron

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I can't tell if it's ovaled out, it may just have the wrong sized bolt holding the trac bar in place. If I recall I beleive that is either a 9/16 or 11/16 bolt, should be grade eight too. Around here 9/16th and 11/16th is not a readily available bolt size, so you may have to do some digging as your local hardware store may not carry them.

Ben

OP
OP
Young Army Vet

Young Army Vet

Loc.
Ft Bragg
Awesome.. Thanks guys for all the help. I'm just trying to get this EB solid as I can now that the engine is out. My hopes it to drive it 600 miles to see my Dad who isn't doing so hot right now. He's always had fords and me getting this Bronco just makes his day..

Thanks again,

Vet