• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is the 4R70W RK-AODE valve body recalibration kit needed?

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
USSHIFT is trying to sell me on a shift kit for my 96 4R70W. It's 100$. Has anyone done this? How hard is the install? I am building a 90% street rig. Will it be needed? Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Needed, probably not.
But still good. And there kit is very installer friendly. Very tunable as well. Not one size fits all but taylorable shift by shift. Explains what each part does and you decide how you want it set.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Look up J mod for AOD / 4r70w
But for a 100 bucks that is a great kit...

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought the kit, I am down to try the mod. Does it come with new solenoids? Should I replace them?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Solenoids are not generally considered a wear item. I know the early Baumann controllers didn't like the low resistance solenoids. Not sure what controller you are running nor weather the '96 are the early low resistance or the later high resistance solenoids.

OP
OP
D

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a higher voltage. Thanks guys! This forum is a great resource.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Can't the user tune the shifts firmness and timing with the controller? I am not sure what the valve body mods are doing.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can't the user tune the shifts firmness and timing with the controller? I am not sure what the valve body mods are doing.

The tuner can only tune within the limits of the valve body. Doing a valve body kit broadens the tuning abality. Line pressure for torque capacity for example. The spring in the kit raises the ultimate upper range of the line pressure. You can dial that down with the controller, but you can't raise it above the nominal pressure of the spring with the controller.