• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a place to get a new 5.0HO roller block?

Archbronco

Contributor
I am going around town and looking at the junk yards in the STL area, but they want way to much money for a used pick and pull engine. I know with a good rebuild the engine will run like a champ, but I want to know if there are other options. I see upper/lower intake/MAF systems on Craigslist all the time for reasonable amounts, so that combined with a crate block would seem to be a good option. Who has them and where?

Thanks for the advice

Broncobowsher

Total hack
New production 5.0 blocks have not been made in about a decade. Aftermarket blocks do exist but are very expensive and complete overkill unless used for a full on race motor. This leaves the rare NOS (New Old Stock) block that has been squirlled away or used blocks.

As a tip from someone who has built a few engines, often from pieces. Get a whole engine. There are so many little parts that you will need that just finding a block is a real pain. A bolt here, a retainer here, spacer there. Tracking each one down one by one is a nightmare. They are not hard to find, but finding the right place to look is the key. If all the salvage yards have sky high prices, look at other means. Craig's list is good. Maybe find a whole car, get the engine and sell the shell.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Best bet dollar for dollar, low mileage explorer 5.0 motor with front serpo attached.

bsquared

Contributor
Best bet dollar for dollar, low mileage explorer 5.0 motor with front serpo attached.
X2 - I picked up a used 96 Explorer 5.0L already pulled w/ serpentine, EFI, most of the harness, etc, for $400 here in Houston. Going that route worked for me.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Archbronco

Archbronco

Contributor
good ideas here guys. explorers are like rust here in Missouri, it's everywhere!

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Boss 5.0 Block is $1210 plus shipping. Free shipping if you get the order up to $1650

4.6 Aluminator short blocks are $3500 shipped

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I have it on good authority that the 5.0 was being built by FR as of 2006. So at least 6 years ago. The reason I know is, I bought one with a 2006 build date and it has been sitting in my 71 since then while I rebuilt it. All I need now is an ECM that actually works, and I am good to go. So far I am 0 for 2.

craigaria

Loc.
Monroe, GA
Mustangs unlimited had acquired some a while back and was selling them. Not sure if they still have them though

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Just so I have this straight:

Wreckers are too much money, but buying a new block isn't? I'm sorry, but that's nuts.

5.0 complete engines are in the $450-800 range here (SF Bay Area). Harnesses and computers run in the $150-300 range depending on how much the guy thinks you don't know. Usually you can pick up the whole package for $750 if you can negotiate.

Chances are any 5.0L with less than 150,000 miles hasn't been rebuilt. If you feel uneasy about a used engine, rebuild kits for the 5.0L are very reasonable. Windsor series will run cool up to about .040 over, anything over that is questionable. That usually means 1-2 rebuilds.

I bought a 90k runner off Craigslist and have put 20K on it to date in my 5.0Yota. Other than the standard 5.0 complaint of burning a bit of oil, I have no complaints.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would submit unless you really want long term gotta have it last 150,000 miles right now, make sure it comes with a warranty from wrecking yard, verify it ran when pulled, verify compression, replace front and rear seals, valve cover gaskets, and run it.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I found a clean 5.0 here in Oregon with twenty thousand miles and paid one thou for it. I have another in a mark7 lincoln I bought with fifty thousand miles on it. The car drove so nice...it now has 250a thousand..and really did not use oil when I parked it...knowing it would be a transplant doner..

OP
OP
Archbronco

Archbronco

Contributor
@76 I appreciate your post. Unfortunately, as I have learned pricing is subject to geography. The question I have posed is for options on new roller blocks. I am exploring the options of a build up, or a rebuild in terms of time/money/availability and reliability. In such, my first step in this research is to identify the availability of options. Your post is most definitely a great gauge on the pricing related to SF and the possibility that I am nuts.

@73 Great advice on the checklist of pulling a rebuild. With the lack of availability that I am finding with these, it helps to know what I must have to negotiate.

@Two I have been looking at Mark 7's, which I found one in STL. around 2500 for the car. How much do you think the shells of those boats go for?

@Jefe AZ Where?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Mark & shell without engine is $2-300. With working air suspension a few hundred more.

Keep looking, better deals will show up.