• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a smaller fan available?

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Coming to the end of this Explorer motor install and the radiator is sitting right against the hood. I used the extreme motor mounts, so the engine sits higher than usual. I have a 2" body lift, so I thought it would have enough room. I made the radiator mounts adjustable, so I can slide the radiator down, but the fan comes in contact with the shroud. Is there a smaller fan? I may just look for an electric option. I'm running the 4.0 fan and clutch. Also running the 4.0 manual radiator.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have extreme motor mounts, 2"BL, standard mounted radiator, 2"BL fan shroud from WH, fits perfect.

Sounds like your radiator is mounted wrong.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Put the radiator where it fits under the hood, then put the shroud where it fits with the fan.
Almost anyone with a body lift needs to modify the shroud to fit almost any normal fan.

With a stock radiator mounting, the radiator just goes up with the body and the engine stays down with the frame, so we need to drop the shroud down accordingly.

I'm not aware of a smaller fan, but even given the high ability this fan has to cool, I certainly would not want to compromise that. Better to lower the shroud to fit than to use a smaller fan.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of course, by "modify" the shroud, that's assuming it's the easiest way. You can do that for any lift, but it's really necessary for either a 1" or 3" body lift under normal conditions. Since you say you have a 2" though, normally you'd just use a shroud specifically for 2" body lifts like Steve and 73az said.

Here's ours: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/17954/Bronco_Cooling_Fans

But the kicker here is that your radiator is adjustable. Depending on how much travel you have you can decide to use either a new one, or modify your existing one.

Paul

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Another good thing about the aftermarket body lift shroud they come in steel or aluminum. The stock plastic o yes get brittle and crack over time. If you want to get real fancy some of the vendors have the "caution fan" stickers

Hazegray

Just finished my explorer serp install with original radiator. I have a 2" body lift and lowered the stock bottom radiator mounts 1 1/4", fits the shroud just fine. If you are trying to perfectly center the fan with radiator, that could be the problem. My fan rides a little high, but still draws a considerable amount of air.

pbwcr

All my fords have the extreme motor mounts and regardless of body lift I always just modify the Ford plastic shroud A little of fiberglass and some metal to reinforcement it and all are good. Just be sure to center the fan in the shroud and make the shroud fits the radiatori closely. All keep the 18" fan.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I was able to drop the radiator a slight bit for clearance and moved the 4.0 shroud up some. Appears to be okay. The fan sits just outside the shroud, so hopefully it works as planned. Thanks for the advice.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Completely outside is not optimal for flow. Kind of surprised you can get a fan outside on a Bronco due to the general lack of distance from the radiator in the first place. But with all custom stuff, maybe that's normal.

But in general, if you read the tech articles about such things, a fan should be inside of the shroud to the tune of anywhere from 1/2-in, 1/2-out, to 2/3-in and 1/3-out.
With probably some variations on those themes as well. But you get the point, of there needing to be at least some of the fan inside the shroud (at least half I would think) to get the best flow with least turbulence and cavitation.

So with all this talk going on, you gonna' let us see a pic of your setup, or not!;);D

Paul

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
So with all this talk going on, you gonna' let us see a pic of your setup, or not!;);D

Not sure why this is rotating sideways. Best I can do for now
Paul[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 38

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I was able to drop the radiator a slight bit for clearance and moved the 4.0 shroud up some. Appears to be okay. The fan sits just outside the shroud, so hopefully it works as planned. Thanks for the advice.

I wanted to clarify...….are you using the Explorer 5.0 clutch fan ?

If so, I know there is a different clutch assembly that is a bit longer than the stock one. It puts the fan a little farther forward into the shroud and it is much easier to get wrenches in for removing clutch & fan from engine.

If interested I could find out the details.

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
I wanted to clarify...….are you using the Explorer 5.0 clutch fan ?

If so, I know there is a different clutch assembly that is a bit longer than the stock one. It puts the fan a little farther forward into the shroud and it is much easier to get wrenches in for removing clutch & fan from engine.

If interested I could find out the details.

I'm using the 4.0 fan, but have the 5.0 available. If you don't mind, please send me the info.

onpier55

Loc.
Roseville Ca
I had to lower my shroud a bit. Here’s a pic. Hope this helps. Thanks
Karl

Attachments

• BEEBFCD6-25B2-489F-8905-A2E537A6AE65.jpg
    BEEBFCD6-25B2-489F-8905-A2E537A6AE65.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 14

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'm using the 4.0 fan, but have the 5.0 available. If you don't mind, please send me the info.

4 seasons part #46049. Works with the steel blade explorer fan. Moves the fan about 1" forward. Pulls a lot more air than explorer clutch even at idle. We used one on the 500 hp Baja racer and the temp never varied during the race, well not until we lost all the coolant after trees and cactus kept trying to jump into the radiator.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269694&highlight=46049

OP
OP
Chief Master Sergeant

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force