• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this a scam

dave316

Loc.
otsego MN.
Has anyone gotten a emale form someone claming thay saw a parts wanted add from this site and have the item ( in very good condition) and want you to email them back if you are a (serious) buyer? Emale was very vage and went right to email not a pm from the site. Sounds like a scam to me. What do you think?

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
got that as well....he seemed anxious in the email.....
Hi
I am John Candy ... I saw your wanted ads Listed on this web ..do
you still need it ..I have it for sale and in good condition,please I
only need a serious buyer,and if you know you are not buying from
me.Don,t Bother to write me,i have gotten many emails from unserious
buyers and scammers, for shipping..i have many experience in
international shipping, so shipping will be very cheap from my side to
your doorstep, ,as soon as I know your interest,I will email you
pictures and asking price.. you can reply via email ..Thank you.
Best Regards

jpalmer

Loc.
Boise, ID
Yes, I got this same one from John Candy and then another from a vendor in London. These scam search agents are getting smart...

rockingm82

Loc.
St. Peters, MO
I agree, mess with them, waste their time by being vague and not providing any info. Or just provide bogus info. We could all contribute.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
Yes, I got this same one from John Candy and then another from a vendor in London. These scam search agents are getting smart...

I investigate internet crime at a very high level here in Silicon Valley the wording and the London location suggests to me that it is a Nigerian scam...

I have gone to Nigeria and put a lot of those scumbags in jail there (not a nice prison) but there are always more. Romania is also a big financial fraud zone. Except they are much slicker in in their approaches.

Always be wary and if it sounds too good to be true it is and if the wording seems really weird like this John Candy email that is a big clue.

Last time I was in Lagos the big hit on the radio there was "bust Yo Dollah" it was a rap about ripping off Americans... lol it was as bad as they are.

And messing with them unless you have a really good scam to get them with is a waste of time... They have all the time in the world and if they get 200 bucks a week (and they do) they are living high on the hog there. They are pretty savvy to the folks messing with them.

Especially after sites like EbolaMonkeyman.com which is hilarious... http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And messing with them unless you have a really good scam to get them with is a waste of time... They have all the time in the world and if they get 200 bucks a week (and they do) they are living high on the hog there. They are pretty savvy to the folks messing with them.

Especially after sites like EbolaMonkeyman.com which is hilarious... http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/

OK! now Ive wasted a bunch of my time. Pretty funny stuff. When I was home recovering from heart surgery it took the time to scam the scammers. I posted one on this site. It was pretty funny. The best part was getting them to mail overnight checks to bogus addresses. Mr. Cleetus Porkhumper at the local police department got several checks but I doubt if he ever sent any of the money orders back.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California
OK! now Ive wasted a bunch of my time. Pretty funny stuff. When I was home recovering from heart surgery it took the time to scam the scammers. I posted one on this site. It was pretty funny. The best part was getting them to mail overnight checks to bogus addresses. Mr. Cleetus Porkhumper at the local police department got several checks but I doubt if he ever sent any of the money orders back.

hahaha nicely done!!

daveweil1

Loc.
Savannah
Screw it, I got some free time. I just posted a wanted add for a "rare original bronco 5 speed tranny". I'll probably get more hits telling me I'm an idiot and that Ford never put a 5 speed in a bronco from the factory. I know that, its just for fun and its a really slow day at work

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Screw it, I got some free time. I just posted a wanted add for a "rare original bronco 5 speed tranny". I'll probably get more hits telling me I'm an idiot and that Ford never put a 5 speed in a bronco from the factory. I know that, its just for fun and its a really slow day at work

Set up a new Email address just for scammer scamming.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
I got 3 emails just this week from different scammers about some camera stuff I listed on CL for my father in law. The first one had my wife and father in law convinced until I got a chance to take a look at it. I let the first "lady" slide without much harassment but I layed into the other two full force. All three were wanting me to send them a tracking number for the package which was to be shipped to Nigeria(all 3 wanted it shipped to Nigeria) then PayPal would release the money. Oh and I had to pay for the shipping up front and the shipping cost would be included in the payment. Let's just say the camera is still in my office and there were 2 very colorful responses sent to the scammers as replies.

LilRedBronco

Loc.
Belmont, California

Just be advised gents that SOMETIMES by replying and "conversatin" you can in some ways if the counter party is savvy you can open yourself to potential virus or trojans...

Also be advised that in some instances by replying you are confirming that your email is a "live one" and it will ensure that you name gets added to the list which then gets your more spam.

Sorry if I am being a bore but its my job and I advise people to just delete spam no good comes of it ;D

rekoj71

To answer the first question though I have gotten e-mails directly to my e-mail bypassing this site, from poeple wanting to buy something from me, and they were legit and I did do great buisiness with them. But the people I delt with were not from nigeria, and where not deaf, (so the only way to contact them was through e-mail) and were not going to send me extra money to give to their moving company that was going to pick it up, and they had a legit phone number that I could call them at and talk Bronco with (if nothing else to see if they new what they were talking about).

The scamers are out there too, but I still like to believe that the bulk of the people who brouse this site are the most legit and best group of people out there though.

The lesson here too though is that if you do want something from someone on this site it makes us feel more comfortble when we get our messages through this site and we can get to know who we are dealing with through past posts and such.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone gotten a emale form someone claming thay saw a parts wanted add from this site and have the item ( in very good condition) and want you to email them back if you are a (serious) buyer? Emale was very vage and went right to email not a pm from the site. Sounds like a scam to me. What do you think?

Got this today - Reverse order:

Cleatus Porkhumper's address and phone number are that of the local PD.

Well i told you earlier on not to send a cheque you were just too in rush am sorry.

Brad.

--- On Wed, 9/30/09, Cleatus Porkhumper <porkhumper@q.com> wrote:

Brad, How can this possibly be a scam? I'm sending you a certified check that you will cash. You can wait any reasonable amount of time to assure that the check is good and you have the cash in your hand. Then you ship me the parts. I'm starting to think that you are scamming me. I sure hope that you are not criminal as I have already sent the check.

Cleatus...

Cleatus i'm sorry to disappoint you. I will not accept any cheque as i think this a scam from you.

Brad.

Brad, I went to the Safeway you recommended and they told me that they couldn't help me get you the check. They recommended I send it by UPS. They also said that the cashiers check from my bank is as good as cash and you won't have any problem cashing it. I sent it by UPS 2nd day so you can get as soon as possible. I understand that you are apprehensive about accepting a check but this method has worked very well on my past internet purchases. I expect that you will want to delay shipping until the check clears your bank and I understand that. Please ship the parts as soon as have the money from your bank and are sure that the check has cleared. My bank told me that they clear the system within 10 days so you will not have any problems. I have to go to work today for 3 days so I will not have internet access. Thanks again! I'm really excited to get these parts. Cleatus...

Thanks for the mail. I called and somebody pickup and said he don't know you. Look for a Western union outlet close to you or better still you can check this outlet and make the payment.
SAFEWAY #1615
Street Address1: 3325 28TH ST
Street Address2:
City: BOULDER
Zip: 803011440
Phone: (303) - 9381271

Brad, I am not familiar with Western Union or Money gram. I do not use credit cards because they get me into trouble spending too much money that I don't have so I pay with everything with cashiers checks from my bank which will only issue them from money in my savings. Please tell me how I can find Western Union or money gram and make arrangements to pay them with a cashiers check. Thanks, Cleatus

Cleatus I don't accept check cos this has got be into so many trouble which i dont want it to happen again. Western union or Money gram is what i use as they are reliable and fast.

Brad

Subject: Re: Looking for another project. Assembled or not. I've got a complete drive train including axles. Mainly want a good frame, tub, fenders and grill. Thanks, Cleatus...
To: "brad Bentley" <bradbentley@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 6:06 AM

Thank you Brad. I will send you a check from my bank tomorrow at the address below. Please ship the parts as soon as the check clears. I am very excited to have found these parts. Cleatus...

I'm sorry about that. yes 260USD + 40USD making a sum total of 300USD.

Name: Brad Bentley
Address: 25 Liverpool Road, Islington, London, London, N1 0RW.
Amount to send:300USD including shipping.

Email to me details from your payment receipt as follow.

Senders First Name:
Senders Last Name:
Address:
MTCN #:

As soon as i confirm payment from you i will be driving down to the courier company to make arrangement for shipping and once i'm done with that i will email to details of shipping.

Brad.

Brad, there must be an error in your math. 260USD + 40USD equals 300USD. Cleatus...

Thanks for the mail. Your shipping address has been noted down, You can proceed with payment via Western union or Money gram with the following details.

Name: Brad Bentley
Address: 25 Liverpool Road, Islington, London, London, N1 0RW.
Amount to send:400USD including shipping.

Email to me details from your payment receipt as follow.

Senders First Name:
Senders Last Name:
Address:
MTCN #:

As soon as i confirm payment from you i will be driving down to the courier company to make arrangement for shipping and once i'm done with that i will email to details of shipping.

Brad.

--- On Tue, 9/29/09, Cleatus Porkhumper <porkhumper@q.com> wrote:

Thanks Brad, I'll take your word for it that they are the correct parts and in the condition you stated. Cleatus...

My address is:

Cleatus Porkhumper
1805 33rd St.
Boulder, CO 80301

My phone number is: 303-441-3333 That is my work number and the only one I have so please have the receptionist page me.

They are the newest fenders design.

Brad.

Could you tell me if the rear fenders are the older fin type or the newer contoured design? Cleatus...

To: Cleatus Porkhumper

Thanks for the mail. Sorry i don't have pictures of it on my desktop, But from your description they are what you are looking for and still in a mint condition for sale. I can have it shipped to you once i confirm your complete shipping address and phone #?

Brad.

Please send me some pictures of the parts so I can verify they are the correct style that I'm looking for.

Thanks, Cleatus...

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 7:42 AM

Yes i have a title with a vehicle identification number (VIN) that matches the VIN stamped on the frame.

Brad

Brad, Do you have a title with a vehicle identification number (vin) that matches the vin stamped on the frame?

Thanks, Cleatus...

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:51 AM

Thanks for the mail. I still have the frame, tub, fenders and grill in a mint condition. I'm asking for a 260USD shipping will cost a 40USD making a sum total of 400USD. Please email to me your complete shipping address and phone #?

Brad.

Please let me know what parts you have and how much you want for them and how much shipping would be. Thanks, Cleatus

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:56:20 -0700
Subject: Looking for another project. Assembled or not. I've got a complete drive train including axles. Mainly want a good frame, tub, fenders and grill. Thanks, Cleatus...
To: porkhumper@q.com

Hello mate!

I'm Brad Bentley our office is at 25 Liverpool Road, Islington, London, London, N1 0RW , I saw your wanted Ads so I decided to write you as We have the item(s). Get back to us ASAP if you are still interested.

Thanks,
Name:Brad Bentley,
Phone #:447011196396.
Email:bradbentley@rocketmail.com Address:25 Liverpool Road, Islington, London, London, N1 0RW.

Last edited: