• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this really how Ford did this ?? Steering column question

Inthegarage

Loc.
Rossville
Was working on my Granddaughters 72 Bronco and ran across this.. Can't figure out how to post picture

Looks like about a 1" piece of wood between the steering column and dash ?? Is held up by two bolts (as normal)

Has aftermarket wheel and very tight between the seat and steering wheel...Is this the problem ? All assistance appreciated.

Quick & Dirty

Yeah, the wood is definitely not factory. The wheel is pretty close though, even with the factory setup. Common on older vehicles as it needs to be close to get leverage for manual steering. Wheels moved closer to the dash in recent decades for safety and proper airbag deployment.

I like the close, large-diameter wheel as I can drape my forearm across the top, or hold the bottom of the rim with my arm on my lap. I hate the modern arms-straight-out driving position.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I think it is metal on metal normally. At least that is how mine went back and what I remembered coming out.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is there normally a piece of rubber or nothing there

There are two small gaskets that fit between the column and the where it bolts to, you can use some gasket material and make them if you like, if the column has been out most likely the gaskets are missing, sometimes they will stick to the column or the where it bolts to on the body.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
I like to look at it from the question why did they do that? Does it have a body lift? It's possible they wanted to relive some of the angle if there is a body lift. If not you got me. I can't think of anything other reason.

Jim

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Inthegarage, welcome to classicbroncos.com. Not to mention classic trucks messed with by PO's (previous owners) sometimes to our detriment!

And just because it's a '72 you're working on (great for you to work on it for your granddaughter by the way) check the VIN and see if it's got a P or a Q sequence (as in, "U15GLQxxxxx" check out Viperwolf1's thread not far down this page and add her info to it as well.
What he's doing is tracking the strange sequencing of builds between the model year changeover between '72 and '73. Some oddball stuff going on and some fun reading if yours fits in that range.

Have fun on the build.

Paul

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Lifting the body puts the intermediate shaft at a steeper angle; lowering the back of the column puts it at a shallower angle. So that wouldn't relieve the angle - it would make it worse.

We have to assume a lot when answering so first most 72s would have come factory with manual steering and a solid steering shaft all the way from the steering wheel to the coupler on the box. That's my assumption. I suppose I'm also assuming firewall mods that typically go with a column adjustment with body lifts.

I understand your point about the spacer if we are talking about (assuming) later model columns and no firewall work. A spacer without any firewall mods would result in more bind on the shaft.

We have a solution for these issue regardless of year and body lift or not. http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Custom_Lower_Steering_Shaft

But back to the original question. "Looks like about a 1" piece of wood between the steering column and dash ?? Has aftermarket wheel and very tight between the seat and steering wheel...Is this the problem ?

Yes at least it's part of the problem, but that brings the question why did they do it? All I can say is I have seen a lot of stuff done to Broncos that defy a logical explanation.;D

Jim

Attachments

• 4371_1909_popup.jpg
    4371_1909_popup.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 10