• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is this safe?

ribbits

Shouldn't this be bolted or welded on both ends? right now it looks like it just has two bolts on one end.. If you lean the truck over enough (like I did pulling on the top of the roll cage with a backhoe bucket) a gap appears between the two plates at the rear or unbolted end... Can this shift or move around at highway speeds? Was like this when I got it.. Seems like if the two bolts sheared off the leaf spring would only be attached to the frame by the front leaf spring attachments? May be a common thing on crawlers? Don't know?
IMG_2275.jpg
IMG_2274.jpg
IMG_2288.jpg

Also, what the heck is this? It's on the floor between the seats.. IMG_2285.jpg

And this, under the front seat?
IMG_2287.jpg

Thanks

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
It's an attempt at a semi elliptical setup. The design itself works for a crawler but isn't suitable for street use. I don't like anything about it. It's a ghetto way to gain more suspension flex.

The one Knob looks like an adjustable proportioning valve. The other (Jamar) might be another one or a line lock. Can't tell.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Jamar thingy could be the end of a breather, but you should be able to tell by looking on the back side to see what, if anything, it's connected to.

Looks like full-width truck axles under there, with the wider spring location of the added plates.
As said, it's one way to gain more wheel travel, but it is NOT the most robust one I've seen. Nor is it the best way to create a street-friendly, good handling vehicle.

What are your plans for it?
Got more pics?

Paul

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Isn't that form of leaf spring mount commonly referred to as a "buggy leaf", as in horse and carriage buggy? Regardless, not really the hot setup...ever, but an effective way to get ludicrous articulation and not a lot of stability to go with it.

I would agree on the other two mystery items, adjustable proportioning valve and line lock...check for brake lines through the devices the knobs are connected to.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been watching this, and thinking about it. I finally looked at it and realized that the bottom piece is a leaf spring. So the two bolts on one end are the attachment and that allows the other end to flex, which allows that whole corner of the truck to droop more when unloaded.

Yeah, i'd say it doesn't need to be on the highway. But for trails and crawling.. meh.

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

I think y'all are right.. Here is a different view of the other side..
IMG_2293.jpg

Would it be safer to put some bolts in the rear, or even weld the leaf spring on the bottom all the way down? The angle iron welded to the frame looks pretty "beefy" and is well welded to the frame.. I really don't think I will be needing the extra suspension movement for the kind of trails I ride around here as it is mostly flat and muddy.. Also, I'm a little concerned about alignment? Is there a way to verify that the axle is exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the frame? The truck actually drives and rides pretty damn good down the highway? Power steering is just a little too sensitive for me though??
This is a pic of the front leaf connections, does it look original?
IMG_2298.jpg
The truck is suppose to have Yukon axles but I thought that was just the shafts? Any suggestions on what I should replace this set up with would be appreciated?
I had to remove some skid plates to see but there are brake lines hooked to both of those knobs.. One line even connects them together??
IMG_2294.jpg
The one on the right is the "increase decrease" knob and the one on the left is the "Jamar" knob?? Haven't fooled with them but just wondering what effect they have on the brakes?
Thanks for all the help!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Jamar is a poor idea of a park brake. Jam the brakes, pull the knob, brakes stay on. But not good enough to walk away from and trust to stay.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The front view of the hanger makes it look like a stock leaf pack, but the other view showing the buggy-leaf setup looks like aftermarket springs.
Can you take a shot of the whole spring?
One side has ladder bar? Or both?

Would it be safer to put some bolts in the rear, or even weld the leaf spring on the bottom all the way down? The angle iron welded to the frame looks pretty "beefy" and is well welded to the frame.

In the long run, yes it would be better. But space the shackle end of the leaf out from the mount so the shackle has free movement at all times, then bolt and weld.

Also, I'm a little concerned about alignment? Is there a way to verify that the axle is exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the frame?

The fact that it drives pretty good is a good sign, but you should have it up on an alignment rack and get the full printout so you can use it for reference when tracking down any little glitches in handling.
You can do an initial measurement between front and rear axle centers to see if it's skewed in one plane. That does not tell you everything you need to know, but it can at least get one aspect clear.

The truck actually drives and rides pretty damn good down the highway? Power steering is just a little too sensitive for me though??

What kind of steering setup does it have? Sensitivity can come from anywhere almost. Literally from the tires to the steering box and the linkage in-between.

Original? Nothing is original on that truck anymore it looks like. Even the stock rear shock mount has been reversed to inside the frame!
Yes, that's a stock hanger, and it looks like a stock leaf spring pack attached to it. But if this is the same side of the truck as the other pic, we've GOT to see more pics!;D

The truck is suppose to have Yukon axles but I thought that was just the shafts?

Yes, likely just the shafts themselves. That's a good thing usually, but you won't know what you have really until you can pull one out. Likely it's 31 splines, but could be 28's still (unlikely but possible) or even 35 splines judging by the trouble the PO went to, to modify things.

Any suggestions on what I should replace this set up with would be appreciated?

No idea until we see more detail.

I had to remove some skid plates to see but there are brake lines hooked to both of those knobs.. One line even connects them together?

Not sure about that, unless the PO was trying to get even more bias than what a single valve could provide. But if it's a line-lock type thingy as Broncobowsher was saying, it's as awkward as it gets having it plumbed in under the vehicle. Should be on the dash!

The one on the right is the "increase decrease" knob and the one on the left is the "Jamar" knob?? Haven't fooled with them but just wondering what effect they have on the brakes?

The one is a proportioning valve designed to restrict fluid to the rear brakes to avoid, or reduce rear wheel lockup under heavy braking.
Increasing or Decreasing could go either way if the manufacturer decided to go their own way. Check with whoever made it to make sure that "reducing" means lowering pressure to the rear brakes, or maybe reducing the valve's effect. Always thought that wording was confusing.
But the others that use them will know for sure if it means reducing pressure.

Good luck. Can't wait to meet Seymour Pics.;D

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You don't weld on heat treated spring steel. That's a good way to die, Spring steel will crystallize when welding and then snap under load.

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

You don't weld on heat treated spring steel. That's a good way to die, Spring steel will crystallize when welding and then snap under load.

Yea,,,wasn't sure if it was actually leaf spring material? But I knew once I struck an arc on it I would know? If I don't change the whole set up I will just drill and bolt.. May try a couple of long tack weld using pre-heat and nickle rods and slow cool.. May look at getting rid of all that and doing a 4 link if I can with that axle? Thanks

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

The front view of the hanger makes it look like a stock leaf pack, but the other view showing the buggy-leaf setup looks like aftermarket springs.
Can you take a shot of the whole spring?
One side has ladder bar? Or both?
If the ladder bar is the shackle bracket then yes on both sides.. Each side looks identical..

In the long run, yes it would be better. But space the shackle end of the leaf out from the mount so the shackle has free movement at all times, then bolt and weld.
Was thinking the same thing!!! It actually not touching it fight now, but only maybe 1/16" clearance??

The fact that it drives pretty good is a good sign, but you should have it up on an alignment rack and get the full printout so you can use it for reference when tracking down any little glitches in handling.
You can do an initial measurement between front and rear axle centers to see if it's skewed in one plane. That does not tell you everything you need to know, but it can at least get one aspect clear.
Good idea.. will check that!! Been checking around trying to locate a good alignment shop, think I got one located but 50 miles away and is suppose to specialize in off road stuff..I live out in the sticks!!

What kind of steering setup does it have? Sensitivity can come from anywhere almost. Literally from the tires to the steering box and the linkage in-between.
It has all the drop down stuff, stabilizer, and power conversion.. Running 37" Micky Thompson's.. Will send some pics of steering setup...

Original? Nothing is original on that truck anymore it looks like. Even the stock rear shock mount has been reversed to inside the frame!
Yes, that's a stock hanger, and it looks like a stock leaf spring pack attached to it. But if this is the same side of the truck as the other pic, we've GOT to see more pics!;D
You are probably right.. but it runs great !! What you think about the four link thing?? I saw some in Townsend this year and liked it.. Does that set up do OK for back road use? Will send more pics next week.. Gotta work this weekend...

Yes, likely just the shafts themselves. That's a good thing usually, but you won't know what you have really until you can pull one out. Likely it's 31 splines, but could be 28's still (unlikely but possible) or even 35 splines judging by the trouble the PO went to, to modify things.

No idea until we see more detail.

Not sure about that, unless the PO was trying to get even more bias than what a single valve could provide. But if it's a line-lock type thingy as Broncobowsher was saying, it's as awkward as it gets having it plumbed in under the vehicle. Should be on the dash!

The one is a proportioning valve designed to restrict fluid to the rear brakes to avoid, or reduce rear wheel lockup under heavy braking.
Increasing or Decreasing could go either way if the manufacturer decided to go their own way. Check with whoever made it to make sure that "reducing" means lowering pressure to the rear brakes, or maybe reducing the valve's effect. Always thought that wording was confusing.
But the others that use them will know for sure if it means reducing pressure.

Good luck. Can't wait to meet Seymour Pics.;D

Paul
Will get more next week.. THANKS to all!!

OP
OP
ribbits

ribbits

This is what I know about the truck

build sheet.jpg

build sheet 2.jpg

build sheet 3.jpg

The hand writing was by the PO..

Nothing Special

View attachment 429746

Truck has front leaf setup?....... ive not seen that on a Bronco.

The picture has the tail pipe close to the spring mount. So that's a picture of the front end of the rear spring (unless it's REALLY a cobbled-together mess!)

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a line lock similar to that on my Baja bug since I had hydraulic steering brakes mounted down the top of the tunnel. It worked for a while then would not release. I had to have a flare wrench handy to burp the pressure to relieve it so I quit using it. The steering brakes though were a kick in the pants. ;D