• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Issues with Ignition Starting

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Drove the Bronco for an hour on the highway and pulled over to get something to eat.....now it won't start. Headlights work and I can hear the electric fuel pump, but I get nothing when I turn the key.

I replaced the solenoid with a brand new one......and I tried to use a screwdriver to cross the two solenoid (I and S) terminals, with key on, but that didn't get any spark at all..

I also checked the coil 20 amp fuse, but it's good.

I get absolutely nothing from turning the ignition switch to start.

Anyone have any suggestions what this could be?

CopperRanger

Bronco Guru
I had a similar situation when I stopped at a gas station a few years ago, it turned out to be a loose and dirty cable at the starter. I cleaned and tightened all the cables and was good to go. Hopefully its something simple like that.

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
UPDATE:

I was able to jumper the Bronco (between B+ and the S terminal) and get it started.

So, does that mean I have a bad ignition switch or a bad neutral safety switch?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and/or yes.;D

As you found out, you don't jumper between the two small posts, but between the battery side and the "S" post.
In a pinch, when that doesn't work (meaning usually a dead relay/solenoid) you can jumper between the battery side and the large post on the starter side. Of course, to do this you need a big cable, like a jumper cable or battery cable. A small wire won't cut it, as you can imagine.

So, your successful jump sounds like one of two things. Either the ignition switch itself, or the Red w/blue wire between the key and the starter relay.
If both of those turn out to be good, then either the solenoid/relay is either acting up intermittently, or perhaps it's as simple as the connector itself is loose or rusty?

Any or all of the above are very common happenings on older rigs like ours.
Good luck. Hope it's the easiest and cheapest fix. But at least none of the options is horribly hard or expensive.

Paul

OP
OP
LSUpete

LSUpete

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes and/or yes.;D

As you found out, you don't jumper between the two small posts, but between the battery side and the "S" post.
In a pinch, when that doesn't work (meaning usually a dead relay/solenoid) you can jumper between the battery side and the large post on the starter side. Of course, to do this you need a big cable, like a jumper cable or battery cable. A small wire won't cut it, as you can imagine.

So, your successful jump sounds like one of two things. Either the ignition switch itself, or the Red w/blue wire between the key and the starter relay.
If both of those turn out to be good, then either the solenoid/relay is either acting up intermittently, or perhaps it's as simple as the connector itself is loose or rusty?

Any or all of the above are very common happenings on older rigs like ours.
Good luck. Hope it's the easiest and cheapest fix. But at least none of the options is horribly hard or expensive.

Paul

Thanks.

My wiring is all new (Painless) so there aren't any corroded or rusty connectors.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's good. Then it does come down to the NSS or the ignition switch most likely.
However, never overlook a not-so-obvious hidden splice or connection coming loose.

You runnin' an auto, or manual for a trans?

Paul