• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

j shift dana 20 rebuild.

jaroh

I am attempting to rebuild my transfer case. First thing I notice is that one of the rods/pills is missing. Maybe a reason why I always had issues shifting? Any ideas where I can get a replacement?

The Far Side

Contributor
Hey jaroh. Just went through mine a few months ago. Not sure what you mean by “pill”. The detents are sold everywhere and several places have the rod end covers. Almost every part is available. Just let me know which.

mrdrnac

Contributor
The J shift case only uses one Pill, the T shift uses 2. I highly recommend using JB Fab's twin stick shift kit and his shift rails, it will cure your shifting problems and allow separate shifting of front and rear. And if you do use his kits you will then need to add the second Pill.

OP
OP
J

jaroh

Apparently every picture and schematic I have looked at is a t shift!
Just my luck to get all worked up and pissy about nothing. The twin stick is definitely going on. Thank you for reply.

The J shift case only uses one Pill, the T shift uses 2. I highly recommend using JB Fab's twin stick shift kit and his shift rails, it will cure your shifting problems and allow separate shifting of front and rear. And if you do use his kits you will then need to add the second Pill.

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Another YA! For JB Fabrication for their twin sticks and their great service. Quality products and they will talk to you on the phone or return emails. Imagine that!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We do have brand new pills available to folks wanting to upgrade to the "T" type rails...

Cheers,
Jon

OP
OP
J

jaroh

On to the next issue!! I can not for the life of me get .003 to .005 on the rear drive out put shaft. I used the old shim, added shims one at a time and taken all of them away. I am only taking the torque to 100 ft lbs and the assembly has no backlash. Any ideas?

OP
OP
J

jaroh

I rechecked that I swapped the correct bearings tonight. Everything is correct from all the diagrams I have looked at. I just cant figure out why everything starts to bind at 50 lbs of torque. Am I using the correct torque specs? Drive shaft flange to transfer case output shaft nuts 125-150 ft lbs.

Last edited:

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Add shims until you have endplay, then reduce the shim-stack until you have .001 to slight pre-load (new bearings). if you put a whole set of shims in and still don't have endplay something is wrong.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not sure what you mean by “pill”. The detents are sold everywhere and several places have the rod end covers.

Even though the entire working, or even just the ball can be referred to as a "detent" (even though this is the first time I've heard someone use that term for the pill), as you probably figured by now most people consider the detent to be the notch only. Whereas the other working part of the detent (beside the spring) is commonly known as the detent ball, or the "pill" they're talking about.
With the detent being the notch in the rod and the pill being the ball that slips into it, it's easier to describe and differentiate the component parts.

At least that's how I figure it. Since I wasn't actually there when they first designed it and made up words to describe it, I just go by how I lernt it!%)

Paul

OP
OP
J

jaroh

Finally made progress tonight. I ordered another set of shims last week and played around until I could get .002 endplay. I will attempt to get it back together sometime this week. A vender talked me into ordering the wrong kit for my transmission transplant so I have up to 6 weeks to get the transfer case rebuilt. Thanks for the input and I am sure I will be back to ask more questions!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Even though the entire working, or even just the ball can be referred to as a "detent" (even though this is the first time I've heard someone use that term for the pill), as you probably figured by now most people consider the detent to be the notch only. Whereas the other working part of the detent (beside the spring) is commonly known as the detent ball, or the "pill" they're talking about.
With the detent being the notch in the rod and the pill being the ball that slips into it, it's easier to describe and differentiate the component parts.

At least that's how I figure it. Since I wasn't actually there when they first designed it and made up words to describe it, I just go by how I lernt it!%)

Paul

The "pill" is the interlock between the shift-rails, looks like a long capsule