• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

JD bender, 1 1/2" DOM and 1 3/4" die ...crush the DOM?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've got 1 1/2" DOM that needs to "bump" around the D60 diff cover with 5deg bends... only need an inch of offset for my tie rod clearance.

See any problem with wall collapse or issues trying this with a 1 3/4" die?

Couple people said no issue, nobody has said it would be an issue...yet...

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
for a four hour drive I can have a buddy bend it with his 1 1/2" die...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
To save a 4-hour drive, I would try it and see what happens. Have any scrap around?

There are also the old tricks like packing it full of sand and welding caps on it. Bend, cut the ends off and pour the sand out.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Sand needs to be tight in the tube or it does no good. Cap one end, drive a wood plug into the other. Keep driving until it won't go any more. Then you know the sand is packed tight.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I don't have any spare...

Last time I tried the sand in the tube (on a cheapie HF bender) it didn't work...didn't pack it tight enough I'm guessing...

I think I"m going for a drive tomorrow am!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
For that slight of a bend it would probably be fine but it is really hard on the die and buggers up the followers. I'd make the drive even though it sucks

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah, that's what I decided to do. A local told me he's WD 40'd all dies and the tube and its turned out ok but I want to do this part only once! : )

Thanks

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Too bad it's not a D44 as then you could use some Scout II knuckles with their much longer steering arms. Of course, they're an 8 bolt spindle so you'd have to deal with modifying that. And their steering arms don't have as much meat between the knuckle and the tapered hole to put in a drag link hole in the same spot as current, so you'd have to mess with the pitman arm length too.

Starting to feel better about the drive?

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Had two friends snap D44 knuckles off at th ball joints this spring...that's why I'm doing the 60 swap!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
5*, I don't think that would be a problem for the dies or the DOM

bigjhoov

nobody
You can make a "cheater" die with a piece of 1.75" tube that is cut in half. The inside of the tube essentially becomes the inside of the die and fills the void that would have been left by the 1.5" tube. The follower die shouldn't matter.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks Jon- I'll check into the spacer idea too...

dukeflr

Loc.
Yuma
I tried something similar this past winter and attempted to bend 1 1/4" .120 wall hrew in a 1 1/2" die. It didn't even come close to working. Not exactly what your planning but don't be shocked if it flattens it real fast. Have a back up plan and be ready to buy new material.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Thanks for the 1st hand advice dukeflr....