• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just finished rattle-can paint job (w/ pics)

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Thanks for all the compliments guys. I was a little disapointed with the color until I pulled it out in the sun this morning. It was looking way too dark under the flourescent lights and maybe it's lightening up a bit as it dries.

It looks pretty bad once you get up close, there are some spots where overspray has dulled the shine and other spots where I didn't lay it on thick enough so it didn't gloss properly.

Should I / Can I buff these spots out with polishing compound? Or should I just wax the whole thing? How long should I let it dry before I try polishing/buffing/waxing? I tried a little spot last night but it just made it worse obviously. I can tell the paint is still soft this morning even after sitting in the garage at 72 degrees overnight.

OP
OP
DanWheeler

DanWheeler

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kirkland, WA
Very nice rattle can job. How's the permanent round dent in your finger feeling this morning?

not bad at all - i used one of those spray gun attachments.

i think I used about 5 cans of paint. Everyone said I would need more but I haven't done the roof or doors yet and I only did one coat and probably not as thick as I should have.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
you can buff laquer as soon as it dries not much help on the rest but dont wax if you wanna do touch ups and what not on it, youll just have to get the wax off again

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Looks great, now you can throw a can in the glove box to touch up the pin strips from the trail ride.

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Looks great. Perfect for a trail rig.

I thought about doing this myself to get the Bronco "presentable" until funds allow for a real paint job. Are there are any drawbacks to spray painting as a temporary solution?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That looks awesome. I'm going to use Kubota orange on my trail rig so I can always buy touch up paint at the local TSC.