• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just picked up a 77 Bronco Sport

erwinp

I just picked up a stock/uncut 1977 Bronco Sport. This is my first Bronco, but I've wanted one for years. I'm still debating with myself on how much to modify or restore it to original condition. I can say I'm definitely NOT going to cut the body.

77broncoforsale002.jpg

77broncoforsale003.jpg

77broncoforsale021.jpg

77broncoforsale025.jpg

77broncoforsale004.jpg

77broncoforsale010.jpg

77broncoforsale005.jpg

77broncoforsale013.jpg

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
nice find

appears to be relatively rust free

dealer A/C

you got the start of a nice LUBR

OP
OP
E

erwinp

Nice, but I hope you can see what's behind you with such small mirrors on the doors :p

The mirrors were part of the towing package from what I understand.

I paid $8500 for it. Seemed like a decent deal for the truck. I drove it home from the seller's place ~2 hour trip on the freeway. The steering is a little loose and the driver's side front brake is grabbing harder than the passengers.

But it runs really well for a 34 yr old truck. ;D

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
Congrats and Welcome to CB! Looks like a nice find, and like it's in pretty good shape! It would be nice all original, but uncut and lifted is cool too!

And I'm also glad you aren't cutting it. ;D

Ratch

Contributor
Very nice find, looks to be minimal rust. Nice score:)

OP
OP
E

erwinp

I'm thinking I'll be sticking close to stock, but with a few "bolt-on" mods. We bought this for fun and use it to get away. I don't want it to just be a garage queen. :D

I can see a mild lift (is it better to do a body lift or suspension?). I'd like to find a period front bumper that could take a winch (the original one on the truck is bent, so I have to do something with it anyway). I also really liked this rear bumper: http://www.central4wd.com/category.aspx?page=id|99187 or something similar (even though it's modern).

For getting away, I'd also like a cargo carrier on the roof.

When I filled it up with Gas for the trip home, I found out the front tank leaks. Today when it warms up a little I have to see what's up with it. The guy I bought it from said he'd replaced hoses on it, so maybe this will only be a question of tightening things up.

I was originally planning a "family roll bar", but now I'm not so sure.

My wife is really partial to yellow and picked these photos out for a target color.
0_bronco_005.jpg

1966-1977-ford-bronco-9.jpg

BroncoWhiteSoftTop.png

I'm a bit torn between the copper color and the yellow but not enough for it to be a big discussion. ;)

OP
OP
E

erwinp

awesome! not to keen on the yellow lol. i love that copper color though!

By the time I get around to painting the body... it might just be a non-issue. Yellow is her favorite color. She even had a yellow Jeep Rubicon when we first got married (she decided she wanted to sell due to the mileage, finances, and getting a baby seat in-and-out :p). The Bronco is a compromise vehicle and something we both like the style of.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Nice find. Very nice shape. I like yellow - I prefer the muted yellow like in the third pic. Not that wild about copper or brown even though I have a Medium Sequoia Brown 74 Ranger! Good luck with it.

But lose the mirrors! Early Broncos don't tow that well anyway!

Stroppe-Envy-77

Bronco Guru
Can you post pictures/links of mirrors you'd recommend?

I did find these: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14444L-door-mirror-1966-77-left-hand.html

How well do they work?

Those are what Broncos came with, and work fine. I added one of those stick-on blind spot mirrors to the one on the right, which makes it much more useful.

As for mods, check out my gallery. I tried to do everything in what's known as "Day 2" theme, in other words, what an owner might have done back in the day right after purchase. I can put it all back to stock really easily.

Changing the color is a bit of a challenge, as to do it right you have to do all the sections under the hood. If you're going to pull the engine anyway, that's no big deal, but tough to paint properly if it's in there.

Finally, you might want to order a Marti Report for it. Well worth the money to get all the info on how your Bronco was built, ordered, etc.

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
When I see a clean uncut original I always hope the owner restores it back to stock and does not change it.
But that's nostalgia and sentiment speaking... A lot of what we now do to our Broncos is to upgrade them to what Ford "should have done" or modernize the technology.
I hope you will keep it stock, but will understand if you start lifting it, cutting it, beefing up the performance etc.
And baby Jesus weeps over other things too;)

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Can you post pictures/links of mirrors you'd recommend?

I did find these: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-14444L-door-mirror-1966-77-left-hand.html

How well do they work?

Those are the ones I like - with the matching pass side. Some people have installed FJ40 mirrors or full size Bronco remote mirrors if you want something more modern. (I think the FSB mirrors look really good.) Also some poeple install jeep mirrors on the windshield frame. Do a search - lots of options out there.