• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just want to make sure before I buy them

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Someone recommended Spicer 5-760X u-joints for a heavier duty replacement for the Dana 44 axles I'm installing. Will they fit on the stock inner and outer axle shafts? Don't want to waste money. Thanks in advance

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont think they do. i bought new shafts and they came with the 760 and said that stock would not work. i assume the reverse to be true, but could be wrong.

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Stock EB axles use 297 joints and the spacing on the ears is matched to them.
Full size Bronco uses the larger joints, as does the 70's Blazers. Thus stock Blazer axles (well the ling side shortened and resplined) are the economy big joint upgrade. Now if you have those "stock" axles, yes the 760 is correct. If you are still running the little joint axles that came in the Bronco, you want the 297s.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Not much advantage upgrading ujoints anyway until you upgrade to superjoints or CTMs IMO ;)

Don't really agree with this. I have a friend who put the Autozone Gold joints in his jeep. Came over the top of a hill and the u-joint broke right in half taking out the ball joint and the knuckle. We were not wheeling hard either. Never had one of my spicer joints do that. I think they are at least a little better than the others and sometimes that little bit is all that matters.

Hank

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yea, too many numbers. The 260 are the tiny stockers. 297s were what I was running last and never needed the 760s.

pipepro

Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Last edited:

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Don't really agree with this. I have a friend who put the Autozone Gold joints in his jeep. Came over the top of a hill and the u-joint broke right in half taking out the ball joint and the knuckle. We were not wheeling hard either. Never had one of my spicer joints do that. I think they are at least a little better than the others and sometimes that little bit is all that matters.

Hank

I don't know anyone who considers autozone offerings parts..... :p If you want to wheel a bronco with u-joints in the front axles, you will have to buy one of the two I mentioned or spend all of your time changing axles shafts with broken ears and u-joints. Spicers are not an exception to that rule is all I am saying. If you want to go riding on dirt roads or hunting and what not stock or spicer are ok. ;)