• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kerosene (sp?) heater for garage?

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
they are noisy if you get one of the salamander style, but heat up quick.

economical to operate
good longevity
dry out the air

main drawback, you cant paint in the space because of the residuals it put's in the air......fisheye!

If this is a concern, go propane.

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
oh ......propane is easier to cart around. Kerosene can make a mess.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I've had better results from kerosene than propane. With kerosene the fumes will get to you after a while, but I suppose that's better than not smelling anything and just running out of oxygen.

67ster

Bronco Guru
If you check out the MSDS sheets on Kerosene , you may find some disturbing news about benzene . It is a cancer causing agent , I would go with Propane but use ventilation .

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try the monitor kerosene heater. They are expensive but absolutely fabulous. They make a garage (especially if your spending alot of time in it) toasty warm. They do have an intake/vent so you do not get fumes. Good luck , BI

bluefx4

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Kerosene gives me a head ach. They make a indoor propane heater. I have one is called a Mr Heater. Totaly ok for indoor use. I picked one up at Lowes and I love it. I even turned it on its back..... put a pan on the grate and cooked breakfast one day my power was out. You might need a few of those if you garage is big.

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I have two propane heaters that I use in the garage. One is cylendrical unit with a fan that will heat my garage from freezing to 70 deg. in about ten minutes. The problem is it only has one output and it overheats the garage. It also sounds like a 747. I also bought a unit with two catalytic burners that mount on top of a propane tank. It takes a while to bring the temperature up, but is silent, oderless, and safe.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Propane seems to be the more expensive fuel when you look at how long the heater will run. That's what drove me to buy the Kero heater.

67ster

Bronco Guru
Propane is more expensive to be sure , maybe you could go with the method we used years ago . Two stacked 55 gal. drums , the lower one as a fire box and the upper as a heat storage/ exchanger filled with old cast iron cylinder heads . We would get that thing red hot using scrap wood off construction sites , kept us toasty for hours but the EPA would probably have you under the jail these days . There are some waste oil burners that do pretty well for emissions , my brother in Utah has one at his maintanence shop and it works well .

yak67

Bronco Guru
I've got a propane in my garage, I just sit it by the door and crack the door to let the fumes exit. It drives me out after awhile it heats up so well :cool: