• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kerosene (sp?) heater for garage?

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
One problem with propane if gets super cold where you are is it freezes up and wont flow. It does it in MT when it gets down to 20 below. I have an electric forced air unit that hangs from the ceiling. It takes a while to heat it up in there but it blows right where I work. No matter how cold it is it will get it up to 50. I tried a Kerosun heater but it gives me a headache. I need to have the house CNG plumbed out there and put a small furnace in but Im too cheap for as much as I use it in the winter. A lot of guys out here use the wood burning barrels and they work super. They make me nervous, I want something that I know is off and the bottom isnt going to burn out of.

302fix

Contributor
My Kero works great in the garage but the fumes do get to me after a while. I plan on tapping into the gas line for my furnace and putting a permanent heating unit in someday.

MI-Bronco

bach44146 said:
My Kero works great in the garage but the fumes do get to me after a while. I plan on tapping into the gas line for my furnace and putting a permanent heating unit in someday.

If I wasn't spending all my $ on the truck I would go this route. Gas line to a hanging gas unit.

Currently it's propane for me. I've even painted at 10 degrees with that little torpedo heater. There have been other post on this and the best lower cost option is a radiant (non fan - noisy) propane heater.

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
I put in a used mobile home oil furnace for 200$ I draw fresh air in from a four inch pipe for the combustion chamber and built a stand four foot high to put the furnace on. I firgure up higher is good for those low vapors.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Raising the heater off the floor is a good idea. Since the heater is a source of ignition, and most flamable vapors are heavier then air (gasoline and propane come to mind). Seperating them would be a good idea. All the new homes around here have elevated water heaters for this reason.